Catchers thumb

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
Do you guys recommend the EvoShield thumb guard for a 11 year old? I want to make she her catching hand is a protected as possible without hindering her.

Apr 25, 2019
Do you guys recommend the EvoShield thumb guard for a 11 year old? I want to make she her catching hand is a protected as possible without hindering her.

It was far too hard for my DD and actually would rub a blister on her thumb. We ditched it after just a few tournaments. I would suggest a high end quality glove first. My DD uses a Wilson A2000 and the padding is awesome. I guess you could use a padded glove like the one below but I don't have any insight on those.

Mar 28, 2020
It was far too hard for my DD and actually would rub a blister on her thumb. We ditched it after just a few tournaments. I would suggest a high end quality glove first. My DD uses a Wilson A2000 and the padding is awesome. I guess you could use a padded glove like the one below but I don't have any insight on those.

Thanks.... I did purchase the marucci magnolia catchers glove and she has stopped complaining about the stinging. So that is win. She doesn't like gloves.....she won't used a batting glove. I will wait to see if this glove continues to resolve the issue.......thanks for the reply

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Never had catchers thumb.

*Always used mechanics
Catching hand fingers up.
Thumb east/west.

Not fingers sideways.
Not thumb underneath.

*Also arm out front.
Use shoulder to rotate to receive the pitch. Excellent ability to get around all pitch locations quicker.
*Better framing capabilities!

Not elbow bent arm sideways.
Not close to body.
VERY LIMITING on range and getting to or around the ball.
Elbow is a hinge that limits.

*Shoulder is ball in socket
Rotates!

btw also caught with a fielders glove!
( not saying use a fielders glove, just commenting how we receive the ball is possibly more important than padding!)
20170919_150122-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020
My daughter has been using the Team Defender glove under her Mitt for about 6 months. Has worked great, you can find it on FB

We have girls on the team with the evoshield and the team defender glove, both work great and have saved my daughters thumb. Sucks she had to injure it first before I went get her one. Definitely a game changer, even when they do catch properly all the time.

May 4, 2020

Same here. DD had a LA which is a fine mitt but mentioned her hand stinging at times.
I got her an Allstar under the mitt glove but she didn’t like it. Picked her up an A2000 mitt and no mention of stinging.

Nov 8, 2020
When I started sitting sideways on the bucket to protect my boys, thats when I first started getting the thumb issues when the kid would throw balls behind me (inside to righties). I went and got the thumb brace and the different gloves to wear under the mitt, they worked a bit. What worked best was getting off the bucket and having catchers catch all her lessons. That even worked better than screaming at her to throw it over the plate.

Apr 11, 2016
I've been having issues with my new catcher mitt. DD's pitching coach has the same mitt that he lets everyone use, and I realize I don't have the issue when using his since it's broken in. I think it was caused by the ball bouncing off the stiff hard leather. I've since learned to stiffen up my thumb before every catch when using my mitt. I also left the mitt at his place for 2 weeks so others can break it in for me.

Jan 28, 2017
These guys are right on the money with the Evoshield recommendation. I'd hate to push a new mitt on you but if this as an ongoing problem you should check out the All-Star CMW3000 mitt. With their single break heel, it has great thumb protection. I've not had one thumb stinger since I bought that mitt and I warm up 3 different 16U pitchers plus lessons for my DD.

I bought this glove on Annasdad recommendation and love it. DD throws mid to upper 50's and I had reconstructive thumb surgery around 40 years ago. No issues using the glove.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23