Catchers thumb

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
What do you guys recommend for catchers thumb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the EvoShield thumb guard in conjunction with the palmgard glove inside of my catcher's mitt. The palmgard keeps my palm, pointer, middle fingers and thumb from stinging so bad from catching fastballs. The EvoShield keeps my thumb from going backward inside my glove.

Nov 18, 2015
Evoshield thumb guard.

If you're asking about it, you've probably already jammed your thumb at least once. Get one. Seriously - When the stores open tomorrow, go get one. Best $15-20 I ever spent.

That said - also make sure you're catching the ball with your hand as upright as possible.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Evoshield as recommended above. Thumb never pointing below the 3 o'clock position when receiving. Practice receiving soft toss baseballs, catching the bell between your index/middle fingers and thumb. Training yourself to receive in this position will reduce further impacts.

But stuff still happens; there's a lot going on back there. When it happens again (and once you have sprained your thumb, it will happen again) treat with ice to reduce swelling. Then rotate ice and heat several times a day. Don't use heat if swelling is present. It should be noted that I'm not a doctor....perhaps that is obvious. :)

Apr 7, 2013
My daughter has been using the Team Defender glove under her Mitt for about 6 months. Has worked great, you can find it on FB

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I know you don't need to hear it again, but I use the EvoShield after hurting my thumb (catching DD, not a catcher myself) and then continually reinjuring it, getting worse each time. got the evoshield and life has been good ever since.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
These guys are right on the money with the Evoshield recommendation. I'd hate to push a new mitt on you but if this as an ongoing problem you should check out the All-Star CMW3000 mitt. With their single break heel, it has great thumb protection. I've not had one thumb stinger since I bought that mitt and I warm up 3 different 16U pitchers plus lessons for my DD.

Nov 18, 2015
AD - I hadn't heard about the protection difference with single/double break heels. Thanks for the heads up, as I'm looking to upgrade my baseball catchers mitt, and add a FP mitt as we enter the realm of kid pitch.

Veering slightly off topic - do you prefer a single or double break on a regular/fielders glove?

Thanks,

Gags

Aug 24, 2011
Evoshield thumb guard.

If you're asking about it, you've probably already jammed your thumb at least once. Get one. Seriously - When the stores open tomorrow, go get one. Best $15-20 I ever spent.

That said - also make sure you're catching the ball with your hand as upright as possible.

Ditto this.

Once you have catcher's thumb it's so hard to not have it recur. I'll hit my thumb wrong on the steering wheel 25 years later and still have flashbacks from the pain of decades ago.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
AD - I hadn't heard about the protection difference with single/double break heels. Thanks for the heads up, as I'm looking to upgrade my baseball catchers mitt, and add a FP mitt as we enter the realm of kid pitch.

Veering slightly off topic - do you prefer a single or double break on a regular/fielders glove?

Thanks,

Gags

That's really all about personal preference. I'm old school, and old so I like a single break and my glove to close thumb to middle finger. A lot of kids, boys & girls are learning from their dads about wearing their gloves two in the pinky (TIP) so a dual break heel will help more with closing the glove thumb to pinky. This really has nothing to do with protection although it does move your index finger out from behind the pocket.......

That All-Star CMW3000 was designed that way with protection in mind, not the way it closes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802