Catcher's removing her helmet- driving me crazy!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Good point on the fencing. I was thinking collision at the plate, not fencing. I do prefer it to stay on all the time.

To be honest, thinking about her two tournaments thus far this year, I don't think I have seen her with her helmet off during play. So either there have not been many pop-ups behind the plate (the ones I remember were bang bang plays trying to dive for the foul ball-no time to take off the helmet) or the coach has decided not to press the issue.

I've seen multiple times where a catcher pulling off her helmet cost her the little bit that prevented her from making a catch. I have yet to see one where the player missed the play because she didn't pull off her helmet.

As I mentioned before, reading the trajectory off the bat is the critical moment. If they miss that, it's hard to recover from, helmet or not. A few times, I've seen pop-ups straight up where the catcher didn't see it off the bat, pulls off her helmet, and nearly gets hit right on the top the head with the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28