CATCHERS on the ATTACK! ...better than shark week!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2019
First time playing in a Triple Crown event with my DD's new team. Needless to say, the pitching and the speed on the bases was eye opening. But my DD loved every minute of it. We had an idea of what we were getting into and we are excited about the rest of the spring and summer. Here is a video of a good throwdown from my DD despite the fact that we got trounced....LOL. Also, the audio has been off on some of my videos that were streamed to Facebook. Hence why my enthusiastic "Boom" was way before the out call.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This was from the second game of the HS season against the best team in our league. So far, they haven't give up a single run in league play, and they continued that by beating Maddie's team 15-0. They are deep with very good TB players, whereas Maddie is one of only 3 TB players on her team, which also includes 3 players who had never been on a softball field before two weeks ago. Despite the lopsided contest, Maddie made a few really nice plays (with some help by her stud SS)...

Mar 6, 2016
This was from the second game of the HS season against the best team in our league. So far, they haven't give up a single run in league play, and they continued that by beating Maddie's team 15-0. They are deep with very good TB players, whereas Maddie is one of only 3 TB players on her team, which also includes 3 players who had never been on a softball field before two weeks ago. Despite the lopsided contest, Maddie made a few really nice plays (with some help by her stud SS)...

LOL, what in the heck were the 3rd base coach and runner doing in the first part of that clip?? HELLLOOO there is a game going on over here!!! Maddie took advantage of that one gettin the girl at 2B. Runner at 3rd had no clue.

Mar 6, 2016
Maddie made a few really nice plays (with some help by her stud SS)...

Isn't it nice to have a SS that knows how to cover?? Makes such a huge difference compared to a SS that has poor footwork or can't field a ball a little off target or get a tag down quick enough. Frustrates the crap outta me when catchers make good throws that beat the runner but SS can't get the other part quick enough.

Feb 25, 2020
LOL, what in the heck were the 3rd base coach and runner doing in the first part of that clip?? HELLLOOO there is a game going on over here!!! Maddie took advantage of that one gettin the girl at 2B. Runner at 3rd had no clue.

Haha I didnt notice that. But I'd bet they were both thinking "We're probly gonna beat this team 15-0".

Mar 6, 2016
LOL...ok every time I watch these clips I keep finding more and more "easter eggs".

On the first clip...watch the field ump. Good thing it was pinpoint throw and he didn't have to move much. He kinda just waddled into position. But, good for him in volunteering his time. 🤪

In last clip... HEY RF!!! MOOOOVVVVE!!!! Yeesh! :oops:

But, I love Madie poppin and gunnin...no need for throws from her knees when you have an arm and footwork like that.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
IMO, coach/player know Maddie’s arm and SS’s abilities. It would have been an out at home on the same play. Or, they may not have been expecting a throw at all in a 1B/3B situation with one of their fastest runners at 1B. Instead, the runner at 3B got tagged out at home a couple of pitches later (second clip). That, they didn’t expect.

Isn't it nice to have a SS that knows how to cover?? Makes such a huge difference compared to a SS that has poor footwork or can't field a ball a little off target or get a tag down quick enough. Frustrates the crap outta me when catchers make good throws that beat the runner but SS can't get the other part quick enough.
Maddie is fortunate to have TB and HS shortstops that are pretty awesome. I never discount their part in Maddie’s success. Maddie and her TB SS are very in tune. Maddie says she just throws the ball as hard as she can and she knows Gigi will be there. I love it.

I'd bet they were both thinking "We're probly gonna beat this team 15-0".
They were probably thinking 25-0. We feel oddly good about it only being 15. Last year, it was 16-3, but we had way more talent. 2 years ago, it was 26-0. So far, their closest game in league play has been 7-0, but they haven't played the #2 team yet. They've lost twice to teams outside our league.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
From this weekend... Some CS's are just too pretty. Outside offspeed pitch, runner going, and the throw a little too far off the bag but the SS can still make a phenomenal play for the out!

Keeping the "better than shark week" going!

Very nicely done. Very quick move by Mia, and great hands by her SS. :)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Game-ending play against a very weak HS opponent. Kind of slow, really...but fast enough the job done. Maddie told me that she couldn't see the runner until she was about 1/3 of the way to 2B, but still felt like she had plenty of time. The runner from 3B never had a chance.

When we were looking at this video together, Maddie talked about her left leg, and how keeping the instep of her against the ground as she drops her knee to get low puts her in a good position to field or block the ball, but also keeps her leg guard facing the runner, keeping her leg more protected. I love to hear her talking about the little details.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802