Catcher's obstruction (inteference)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Saw CI called twice Thursday at LLWS - both times HP ump signaled dead ball immediately -- I haven't umped for years, but CI used to be a ' delayed ' dead ball ..........................offense could always take the result of the play OR the result of the penalty .......................... Is CI an immediate or delayed dead ball currently ?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Saw CI called twice Thursday at LLWS - both times HP ump signaled dead ball immediately -- I haven't umped for years, but CI used to be a ' delayed ' dead ball ..........................offense could always take the result of the play OR the result of the penalty .......................... Is CI an immediate or delayed dead ball currently ?

Maybe in LL, but nowhere else of which I am aware

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
The LL rule book follows pro baseball rules, which includes treating CI with a delayed dead ball call. Just like most other sanctions, the manager of the offense can take the penalty (batter is awarded first, other runners return to their time-of-pitch bases unless forced) or the results of the play, unless the results of the play had everyone advancing to their next bases, then the infraction is ignored.

So whoever the PU was in those LLWS games, he/she did not make the correct ruling.

Jun 7, 2019
The real problem is illustrated in the title of this thread. I have no idea why so many people refer to catcher's obstruction as catcher's inference, but they do! If called, and properly thought of, as catcher's obstruction, then it would be treated like any other obstruction - a delayed dead ball. But if thought of incorrectly as catcher's interference, then you may just kill it by calling "dead ball" if you're an umpire, or arguing for a dead ball if you're a parent or spectator.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
The real problem is illustrated in the title of this thread. I have no idea why so many people refer to catcher's obstruction as catcher's inference, but they do! If called, and properly thought of, as catcher's obstruction, then it would be treated like any other obstruction - a delayed dead ball. But if thought of incorrectly as catcher's interference, then you may just kill it by calling "dead ball" if you're an umpire, or arguing for a dead ball if you're a parent or spectator.

It’s referred to as Catcher’s Interference in most baseball organizations because that’s what the professional baseball rule book calls it. And most baseball organizations derive their rules directly from the pro book. So it is not incorrect to call it CI “over there”. Softball calls it Catcher’s Obstruction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 7, 2019
It’s referred to as Catcher’s Interference in most baseball organizations because that’s what the professional baseball rule book calls it. And most baseball organizations derive their rules directly from the pro book. So it is not incorrect to call it CI “over there”. Softball calls it Catcher’s Obstruction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I did not know that. Never umpired baseball.

Jun 12, 2017
As someone who grew up playing baseball, and has too much free time to think I always thought of it as

1. I interfere with someone's ability to make a play on/with the ball. In this case the batter trying to hit the ball

2. I obstruct someone's ability to move.

Last edited:
Thanks, I did not know that. Never umpired baseball.
Google results for catcher's obstruction yield ............ " We've learned that interference is an infraction that is committed by the offense (base runners and batters, primarily). However, there is one special case where it's the defense that commits the interference – defensive interference, commonly known as "catcher's interference." All other infractions by the defense that impede offensive players fall under the rules for obstruction. " ................that is why I titled the thread as I did ........... anyway we know a mistake was made, and we know what the correct call is .................... coaching pony league years ago, I had a batter rip a bases loaded line drive down the right field line after hitting the catcher's glove ................... both umpires out of my same umpires association called dead ball and killed the play .......................... I should have, but did not get ejected ........ but at the next year's umpires meetings I made sure to tell the story..........we won the game so no harm done ..........

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019
So, it's referred to as catcher's interference (for no apparent, intentional good reason), but is ruled upon the same as any obstruction. OK.

I was always comfortable with parents/fans calling it interference - even though it had nothing to do with interference - as long as we ruled on it correctly. Why baseball's governing body would do that is beyond me, but hey, who cares?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802