Catchers mitt recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
Why limit yourself to just these two mitts? We have two LA mitts and they are good gloves at a reasonable price.
I recently purchased a Wilson A2000 mitt for DD and she says she likes the Wilson better. No sting.
From the research I have done the Wilson is the #1 Fastpitch mitt followed by the LA.
I will say I get my thumb jammed at least once a practice with DD’s curve ball that moves down and away from RHH’s.
Allstar also makes quality mitts that you can get for very good prices on their website.
If I had to choose between LA & HOH I would go with HOH. Better materials at a higher price point.

Jun 27, 2018
I need a broken in mitt fast. Those are two that I have a choice of. There is also an All Star Vela. She has a Wilson A2000 right now that is partly broken in. I feel like she’s been working with this mitt for awhile (since last Summer) and we can’t seem to get it to where it needs to be. She caught live pitching today for the first time since February and she had trouble holding on to pitches today. It still is stiff. Her old glove is a Wilson (can’t remember the model number but it was nothing fancy). That lasted from 12u all the way through 16u. And I think I paid $25.00 for it. We just can’t seem to get this new Wilson broken in and she’s got another tryout on Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2019
I need a broken in mitt fast. Those are two that I have a choice of. There is also an All Star Vela. She has a Wilson A2000 right now that is partly broken in. I feel like she’s been working with this mitt for awhile (since last Summer) and we can’t seem to get it to where it needs to be. She caught live pitching today for the first time since February and she had trouble holding on to pitches today. It still is stiff. Her old glove is a Wilson (can’t remember the model number but it was nothing fancy). That lasted from 12u all the way through 16u. And I think I paid $25.00 for it. We just can’t seem to get this new Wilson broken in and she’s got another tryout on Tuesday.

Interesting. I put either Nokona or Vinci conditioner on the A2000 and put it under my mattress with a ball in it for about a month. Started playing catch and it broke in pretty quickly.
DD uses the LA to get warned-up because it’s easier to close at slower speeds. She switches to the A2000 when live catching for what she feels is better protection.
She has an Allstar under mitt glove she can use with extra padding if she chooses to do so with LA.
I’ve never held an Allstar mitt but I’ve heard many good things about them.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Tryout huh, my suggestion is to get a dumbbell, weighted ball, and or a mallet and beat the absolute crap out of that A2000!

Even if you beat it to the point of damaging it, who cares, sounds like you’re wanting a new mitt anyway?

You’re a little late in the game to be looking for another mitt with a tryout two days from now! You probably should be getting on with beating the snot out of that Wilson!

Jun 27, 2018
Yeah I know. I didn’t realize she would be struggling with closing it so much by this point.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Back to your original question, I’d take an All-Star over both gloves you listed unless she’s on a Rawlings sponsored team, and unless you’re talking about a true HOH off of the custom builder, in that case a true HOH off of the builder would be the one!

At this point, I don’t think any of these suggestions matters!

Apr 28, 2019
Yeah I know. I didn’t realize she would be struggling with closing it so much by this point.
I like the single break heel All-Star CMW3000 and the like for their great thumb protection.
I like the single break heel All-Star CMW3000 and the like for their great thumb protection.

Yeah it’s kind of strange AD. I have I believe it’s a 2015 Worth LA which seems to have more padding than DD’s 2018 Rawlings LA.
There seems to be ample padding around my thumb and I’m calling the damn pitches so I know what’s coming.
I must be catching the curve at the wrong angle or just perhaps reacting to slowly. It stings for a few seconds and I mutter to myself and call for a change-up next pitch.
This will be my 1st and last catchers mitt. May invest in a thumb guard or under mitt protective glove at some point.

Wh

What part of the country do you live in? If your local your more than welcome to borrow DD’s LA. It practically closes itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478