Catchers mitt for dad. Tell me your favorite

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2019
This is for daily use, bucket dad with larger size hands (longer fingers rather than fat fingers). DD is getting to the point where speed is increasing (hitting 52-53 per pocket radar) and movement is really coming now. She about took my thumb off last night with a hard breaking drop on the inside corner, so I think it's time to start breaking in a catchers mitt. I've been using a Rawlings GG Elite first base glove for the past few years to catch both 12u DD and 11u DS and had no real problems with it.

So, if money wasn't a concern, what would you pick? Like I said, this isn't a show piece, it's for almost daily use. I'm a Rawlings fan so my current first pick will be a Rawling's HOH unless someone convinces me otherwise. What say you?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

For a retail mitt, I don't think it can be beat! If I were going to buy a Rawlings, it would be a custom for me, but that's double the price of this All-Star!

Sep 19, 2018
How does a 34" baseball catchers mitt fair for this application? I have a Rawling Gold Glove Elite Softball catchers mitt (built for Dick's I believe). I don't have huge man hands (Seinfeld reference), but the hand stall built for womens hands are just a bit small for me. I have a hard time thinking a guy with huge hands is going to be comfortable in a fast pitch mitt made for women.

Apr 28, 2019
This is for daily use, bucket dad with larger size hands (longer fingers rather than fat fingers). DD is getting to the point where speed is increasing (hitting 52-53 per pocket radar) and movement is really coming now. She about took my thumb off last night with a hard breaking drop on the inside corner, so I think it's time to start breaking in a catchers mitt. I've been using a Rawlings GG Elite first base glove for the past few years to catch both 12u DD and 11u DS and had no real problems with it.

So, if money wasn't a concern, what would you pick? Like I said, this isn't a show piece, it's for almost daily use. I'm a Rawlings fan so my current first pick will be a Rawling's HOH unless someone convinces me otherwise. What say you?
LA or HOH should both be good choices. My DD is up around 60mph and my Worth LA works just fine.
Honestly I don’t get some recommendations where the glove takes forever to break in. Yeah they may be great gloves eventually but if you need something right away it doesn’t help. I’ve never had a glove that took more than 2 weeks to break in. Then again my goal was to use it not look at it.

Jul 1, 2019
So you mocked this one up on the builder? White laces make me cringe........please don't order white laces, I promise you'll thank me later!!
I did. Okay, whats up with white laces? I figured it may give her a better view of the outline of the glove (though she aims for a particular spot rather than the whole glove). I don't like it with black laces. Maybe red??
glove 5.pngGlove4.png

Or grey??

Attachments

• glove 6.png
    glove 6.png
    116 KB · Views: 22
  • glove 7.png
    glove 7.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I did. Okay, whats up with white laces? I figured it may give her a better view of the outline of the glove (though she aims for a particular spot rather than the whole glove). I don't like it with black laces. Maybe red??
View attachment 15475View attachment 15476
Dyed laces, especially white, camel, and blonde turn into soft, stretched shoe strings VERY FAST. And yes that includes reds & blues, but nowhere near like the white laces!

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I have average size hands and I use the Akadema praying mantis fastpitch catcher's mitt to catch for my DD. Has worked great. I tried using a 1B baseball mitt as well and it hurt like hell. I have used a baseball catcher's mitt before, but prefer the fastpitch glove. A larger hand would not work in the Akadema as it is even pretty snug for me. Not sure about models for larger sized hands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802