Catchers mitt at 1st base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2010
SO CAL
I'm seeing this more is it allowed ? I know there are restrictions on where a 1st base mitt is allowed how about a catchers mitt ?
Thx Larry

Jun 29, 2013
Going by memory on this, but I think the USA rule is that you can use any glove you want at any position. I looked this up when I saw a pitcher using a first baseman's mitt and was surprised that it was legal. Not sure how a catcher's mitt would help at 1B, though.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Not to contradict EGH on this, but I remember it quite differently.

ETA: After looking through my USA Rules, EGH has it correct. Rule 3 Section 4 "A glove/mitt may be worn by any player."

Last edited:
May 17, 2017
Some of the new catchers mitt are like hybrids ,, my DD has a Worth Liberty catchers mitt and her TB coach had her playing 1b a few times and really did well so i bought her a Worth/Rawlings Liberty 1st basemens mitts for the times she does play 1st she prefers the catchers mitt saying it just feels better . On the other side her HS coach will not let her use her catchers mitt at 1st base :( so old school is he )

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The answer to this one will vary depending on which sanctioning body's rules you're using. Many allow any glove or mitt at any position, some do not.

As always...consult your rule book!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2