Catcher's mit for me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

My DD has been pitching for three years now and last year at 13 she was pitching too well for me to use my baseball catchers mitt. I ended up buying a Softball First baseman's glove because the regular fast pitch catcher's mitt wouldn't fit. I like the mitt cause it seams I catch more balls I would have missed. I also heard that Kelley Glove Company makes custom mitts if your willing to spend the money. I agree on the shin pads I started wearing my old Hockey shin pads to catch my dd two years ago.

May 8, 2008
Catchers mit vs. first base glove

I am a female assistant coach for a HS team and previous catcher. THe other male coach and myself had a discussion on types of mits for our catcher. He believes a first base mit is better that catchers mit. What is anyone's thoughts. Our catcher is a freshman 5'6" 180lb. with a medium hand size.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
I am a female assistant coach for a HS team and previous catcher. THe other male coach and myself had a discussion on types of mits for our catcher. He believes a first base mit is better that catchers mit. What is anyone's thoughts. Our catcher is a freshman 5'6" 180lb. with a medium hand size.

He feels a softball first base mitt is better then a softball catchers mitt? Is that correct?

May 21, 2008
I am really liking this mitt...quality construction, light weight.

Kelley G-Lyte Series Catcher's Mitt FPL 34
LargeGloves-fpl34.jpg

May 8, 2008
Yes, he believes a firstbase mit is better than a catching glove. We started this coversation because the catcher was having a tough time getting to the pitchers change up. She wasn't timing it and would bounce in front of her and get past her. He feels her glove wasn't grabbing well.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
Yes, he believes a firstbase mit is better than a catching glove. We started this coversation because the catcher was having a tough time getting to the pitchers change up. She wasn't timing it and would bounce in front of her and get past her. He feels her glove wasn't grabbing well.

Dredge61,

Rahter then a glove issue I suspect the issue is one many catchers have when catching pitches that move. Especially pitches that move down. The link below goes back to a post I did on this site last year about proper receiving of pitches with lots of movement and how to help catchers learn to receive them better.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-catching/133-keeping-off-speed-strikes-looking-like-strikes.html

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I just got a louisville slugger zephr first base mitt a couple weeks ago. Just because they were 35% off. Now, I love it. Just my 2 cents.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Akadema

I've had an Akadema Praying Mantis CG for 3 years. I'm a lefty, so not everyone makes a FP catcher's glove for me. Easy break-in, good durability, lots of protection. DD going over 50 for the first time this spring and the only time I have trouble is catching hard drops with my thumb down. Ouch!

I've suggested this glove to at least 3 or 4 HS catchers and none of them will use anything else anymore. About 70 bucks, delivered.

KAT

May 13, 2008
Akadema

My daughter uses and Akadema Praying Mantis. She likes it and everyone who tried it likes it also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802