Catcher's mit for me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
My almost 13 is a pitcher. Never needed a catcher's mit before now.
Pretty sure she is under 50 MPH but lately my fingers are getting stung (even with my index outside the glove entirely).

Any recommendations for a decent catcher's mit for me?

PS...in addition, puberty creeping in and now working on keeping her open just a tad longer as her hip is getting in the way ....
pitching is off a bit lately .... she's trying to be patient ...but slower innacurate pitches are getting to her and May 2 is coming fast!

Jan 15, 2009
Palmguard makes a nice glove that you wear inside the catchers mitt that has padding on the thumb joint and first two fingers next to the thumb. I highly recommend it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Have her stay open. She can close way after the ball is released. After she works through the growing a little, she can go back to how she was pitching.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
pitching / catchers mitt

Have her stay open. She can close way after the ball is released. After she works through the growing a little, she can go back to how she was pitching.

Yes, been doing that ...old habits ... lol
She's a late bloomer in many respects (which is fine with me).

Her body just isn't cooperating .... she is trying .... hopefully we'll just get through this .. but she will have to be more on top of herself!

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
My almost 13 is a pitcher. Never needed a catcher's mit before now.
Pretty sure she is under 50 MPH but lately my fingers are getting stung (even with my index outside the glove entirely).

Any recommendations for a decent catcher's mit for me?

I got an inexpensive catchers mitt last year when my hand started hurting (don't remeber what brand) and it is not that great because there isn't much padding on the palm/fingers. DD's pitching coach let me borrow his Mizuno one day and it is fabulous.

I would suggest that you only find one with lots of padding, I don't know that a specific brand is better than the other.

I might laso suggest that you invest in shinguards. Once DD started throwing breaking pitches I started needing them!

Dec 19, 2008
I agree with coach-n-dad on the shin guards. When DD started pitching, I wore shin guards and a mask, cause I never knew where the ball was going to go. Now I don't where anything, because she had awsome control. But, she is getting faster, and when she throws the roll over drop, watch out! I love that pitch, but I sure hate catching it. probably gonna have to put the shin guards back on soon.

As for the catcher's mitt, if you don't have large hands, I like the louiseville slugger FP203. 32.5" - not too big, not too small. If one of your catcher's forgets theirs, it will work for them in a pinch as well.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
But, she is getting faster, and when she throws the roll over drop, watch out!

LOL, when DD started throwing breaking pitches I thought my sight was going bad. Now, I really don't have much trouble with the drop or screwball, but the rise??? Holy COW! Once, I saw this pitch coming in about waist level and was sure I had it - next think I knew I was laying on my back with my bucket rolling away and my pectoral muscle throbbing. I was bruised for 2 weeks.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
catchers mit

I got an inexpensive catchers mitt last year when my hand started hurting (don't remeber what brand) and it is not that great because there isn't much padding on the palm/fingers. DD's pitching coach let me borrow his Mizuno one day and it is fabulous.

I would suggest that you only find one with lots of padding, I don't know that a specific brand is better than the other.

I might laso suggest that you invest in shinguards. Once DD started throwing breaking pitches I started needing them!

The mitt first ...I'm still quick enough to get most of the..
But it will be soon!
Been a long time since I've had on shin guards!

Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802