CATCHERS IMPORTANT feedback for our team~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Catchers important feedback for our team & coach~

When we come in from the first inning of catching our pitchers and recognizing what the umpire is or is not calling for strikes...
*Bring that feedback to your team!!!

* if you are noticing the umpire is calling pitches strikes that are way way out of the zone,
things you may notice in/out or up/down,
it is important to let your teammates and coach know the umpire is calling erratic strikes.
(Example calling a pitch in the batters box a strike ;))

*Super helpful important feedback we can bring to our team to help make better decisions at bat!!

Encourage using our softball voices!!!
Communicate every game!!!

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
^^What RADcatcher said, be a source of info for your teammates. Just an aside, but you might also be asked to deliver messages FOR the umpire, "Hey RAD, go talk to your pitcher about her drag foot" "RAD, I need you to be a leader in the dugout, we both know those pitches are off the plate, talk to your teammate for me before I have to deal with her" That sort of thing. As an umpire, I am more than willing to talk to you as long as we both keep facing the circle, even if we disagree.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just an aside, but you might also be asked to deliver messages FOR the umpire, "Hey RAD, go talk to your pitcher about her drag foot" "RAD, I need you to be a leader in the dugout, we both know those pitches are off the plate, talk to your teammate for me before I have to deal with her" That sort of thing. As an umpire, I am more than willing to talk to you as long as we both keep facing the circle, even if we disagree.
In all seriousness ED,
You should start a post on wether or not umpires should be talking to players like that.
~This is one of those not in the rulebook topics that can cross umpiring lines.
A post could help define that line.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
There are posts about that and it comes up in other posts. Some think umpires talk way to much (Sometimes they do, a catcher is a captive audience and small talk should not be part of it after introductions during 1st inning warm-ups). The question COULD be, what is preventive umpiring and what is coaching? I try to keep players in the game as much as possible, until they eject themselves, but I do not belong in the dugout, if the problem is coming from there, I feel (my own opinion) that the C IS a team leader and can be used to get a message to the dugout/HC without showing anyone up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802