Catchers Helmet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2014
Allstar.

but honestly get whatever fits the best. I'd avoid ones where the guard attaches to the forehead and look for ones where the top attachment point is on the sides of the helmet. Spreads the force to the sides and back instead of directly into her forehed.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
All Star, Wilson Prostock, Rawlings Mach, Easton Pro X... Read the reviews in this forum. They are all good helmets. Look for as soft padding as possible and no forehead cage mounts. This should be a good start

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Look for multi-density padding and no forehead cage mounts as critical factors.

The safest helmet on the market is the Force3 Defender V2, but it's not uncommon for players to be turned off by the appearance. The Wilson Shock FX2.0 was excellent, but was discontinued a few years ago. The All-Star masks are very good. Easton Pro-X/Jen Scho, Wilson Pro Stock, and Rawings Mach all incorporate good design features. Within that list, pick the one that's the most comfortable. Not all head shapes are the same, and some work better than others.

May 6, 2015
Once you pick a helmet, I would also try to get a light color. NEver understood why so many helmets are dark colors, just turns them into little head ovens on hot sunny days.

May 21, 2014
Once you pick a helmet, I would also try to get a light color. NEver understood why so many helmets are dark colors, just turns them into little head ovens on hot sunny days.

this is why I like Allstar too. We've had the silver with black accents for a few years and still looks really good and is definitely cooler than an all black helmet.

Apr 28, 2019
Recommendation on fastpitch (16U) catchers helmet

If your looking for a heavy ultimate protection helmet that would be F3. Many baseball catchers are switching to the F3.
I honestly don’t see many balls fouled back into Fastpitch catchers masks. I see many more in baseball.
That being said it only takes one to cause a concussion.
I would go with Allstar/UA helmets. Allstar makes UA helmets in the same factory as their own.
The Allstar 2500 and I believe they have a 4000 as well. Both great looking very good protective helmets but a little on the heavy side.
The UA Converge Pro claims to be the next generation helmet. I just upgraded my DD’s gear and I am going to get her the Converge Pro helmet. It looks lighter and more compact than the Allstar with many of the same features.

May 6, 2015
I honestly don’t see many balls fouled back into Fastpitch catchers masks. I see many more in baseball.
That being said it only takes one to cause a concussion.

DD took a nasty foul ball last fall, ball came straight back off of bat to face mask, ball hit mask head on, dropped in front of her. no concussion thank god, just stunned momentarily (came out of game, was checked by a trainer), did have a headache.

Apr 28, 2019
DD took a nasty foul ball last fall, ball came straight back off of bat to face mask, ball hit mask head on, dropped in front of her. no concussion thank god, just stunned momentarily (came out of game, was checked by a trainer), did have a headache.
Well it’s good your DD wasn’t concussed. What helmet does she wear?