Catchers gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2018
I didn’t know wether to put this here or under the catching section. My daughter has always preferred the Wilson Promotion gear. I’m probably going to have to get some new gear this year. What is comparable or good nowadays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2019
I didn’t know wether to put this here or under the catching section. My daughter has always preferred the Wilson Promotion gear. I’m probably going to have to get some new gear this year. What is comparable or good nowadays?

My daughters like the Diamond IX5 set. Easy on/off shin guard clips. They prefer it over their Easton Prowess set.

Apr 16, 2013
You might get a better response in the catcher's thread. Also... I'm with you. When it came time for my DD to move up to the full size gear I hunted down discontinued sales for the Promotion gear. It's dang good stuff!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It was sad to see the ProMotion stuff get discontinued. You can still find a few pieces here and there, but it's mostly gone.

IMO, All-Star System 7 is excellent.

May 6, 2015
I didn’t know wether to put this here or under the catching section.

I always have same dilemma regarding posts about catchers equipment.

don't be rigid in thinking sets, OK to have mismatched gear. DD likes her Rawlings velo leg guards, Boombah Defcon chest protector, and her Schutt airmax helmet. and she has taken several hard foul tips to cage, no ill effects at all, shook them all off as if nothing had happened. I really like Schutt helmets, catching and batting. that being said, her mismatch gear is mostly due to buying the pieces at separate times (leg guards after grown spurt, chest when she complained old one (from a starter set) didnt cover sides adequately, helmet she outgrew)

BTW, my own side reccommendation, get a light colored helmet, not black, etc. think of the hot sun on those 95+ days. we went white. really makes team and number decals pop as well :)

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019
My DD started out with the Easton Prowess and really liked that set. She wore a hole in her shin guards from knee throws and blocking so we replaced the shin guards with the Easton M5 guards and kept the Prowess mask and chest protector. However, she is super excited about the Jen Schro gear coming out in September. The Pre-sale starts soon I think too.

Jun 27, 2018
Thank you all! Of course I will mismatch a set too, if needed.

Nov 18, 2015
And of course, if you're team colors are green and yellow, you're almost guaranteed to be able to find shin guards and chest protectors for around $20 each.

Jun 27, 2018
I know right? Unfortunately not. I can actually still find Wilson Promotion gear in purple and green.

May 6, 2015
And of course, if you're team colors are green and yellow, you're almost guaranteed to be able to find shin guards and chest protectors for around $20 each.

I have come to the conclusion that we will no longer be buying DD gear in any team's colors. going with neutral colors (white helmet, gray chest protector, shin guards are NAvy, next set will be gray, luckily every team she has been on with this set has had navy as one of their colors). her travel teams and school teams are likely to not match anyway, and we cannot afford two sets of gear, or new gear if she changes teams.