Catchers gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2014
It was sad to see the ProMotion stuff get discontinued. You can still find a few pieces here and there, but it's mostly gone.

IMO, All-Star System 7 is excellent.

lol...made the jump from the Pro Motion stuff to All-Star today because we couldn't find shins in black. She's loves her All-Star helmet so hopefully she will like the leg guards as well.

May 29, 2015
Keep in mind that starting with the 2020 season, catcher’s chest protectors will be required to be NOCSAE stamped. You may not want to go grab that clearance priced 2019 just yet.

(Personal commentary/opinion: Until the 2020 seasons start and they tell us “Oh, we don’t want people to have to go buy a new chest protector if they just bought one. We’re going to put it off for another year.” Just like they did with the balls.)

May 6, 2015
Keep in mind that starting with the 2020 season, catcher’s chest protectors will be required to be NOCSAE stamped. You may not want to go grab that clearance priced 2019 just yet.

(Personal commentary/opinion: Until the 2020 seasons start and they tell us “Oh, we don’t want people to have to go buy a new chest protector if they just bought one. We’re going to put it off for another year.” Just like they did with the balls.)
required under which alphabet? need to know if I need to replace DDs chest protector

May 6, 2015

FYI, my limited research this seems to be only NCAA and NFHS at this time, and the limitation is gear purchased after Jan 1, 2020, so existing gear will be able to be used it seems.

May 29, 2015
FYI, my limited research this seems to be only NCAA and NFHS at this time, and the limitation is gear purchased after Jan 1, 2020, so existing gear will be able to be used it seems.

If you found anything, please post it. Admittedly I haven’t searched very hard, but we haven’t received much of anything beyond “the rule was passed.”

In case my editorial comment above was not clear: this is another boondoggle of an equipment rule. How the heck do I know when you purchased something. “Coach, I need to see a four year old receipt before I can let you use that chest protector.” After all, we know it is safer if it is older and doesn’t meet standards than if it is newer and the manufacturer didn’t pay the royalties for the stamp.. :rolleyes:

If a rule is about safety, then it NEEDS to be about safety, not somebody’s pocketbook. If it can be put off due to somebody’s pocketbook, then it really isn’t about safety and shouldn’t have passed in the first place.

May 6, 2015

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Some All-Star System 7 Axis are listed as NOCSAE...

Wilson C1K - Yes...

Wilson Pro Stock - No.

Mizuno Samurai (baseball - yes, softball - no)...

Easton - No. New gear coming out later this year.

Jan 22, 2011
Is this a softball rule change that chest protectors need to be NOCSAE certified? I only can find references to it being a baseball rule change.

May 6, 2015
Is this a softball rule change that chest protectors need to be NOCSAE certified? I only can find references to it being a baseball rule change.
since it is NFHS and NCAA, I have to assume it is softball as well as baseball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478