Catchers gear set

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2015
we just switched from the Wilson helmet to the Schutt Air Max and DD likes the change

We just did the same. Switched from the Promotion helmet (just due to its over two years old and heavily used) to the Schutt Air Max. DD likes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 14, 2014
Dd11 is 5’4” and 120-ish. Santa brought her the Prowess P2. She loves it so far in lessons. Her TB team starts back to practice next week, so we’ll see how she likes it then.

It fits her well. She really likes the padding on the shin guards. I figure she’ll get through 12U with it, and we’ll probably have to replace it due to size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Dd11 is 5’4” and 120-ish. Santa brought her the Prowess P2. She loves it so far in lessons. Her TB team starts back to practice next week, so we’ll see how she likes it then.

It fits her well. She really likes the padding on the shin guards. I figure she’ll get through 12U with it, and we’ll probably have to replace it due to size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What size did you get? And what size skull does she have LOL? My DD12 has a pretty large head but is about the same size as your DD otherwise. We are in the market and wanted to try the Prowess line.

She is using a 3 year old Wilson shock FX helmet and legs with a newer Mizuno chest. She really wants white helmet but have not found one that fits. She like the Schutte helmet and it fit really well but it was HEAVY!! I think it was mostly the cage.

Feb 14, 2014
What size did you get? And what size skull does she have LOL? My DD12 has a pretty large head but is about the same size as your DD otherwise. We are in the market and wanted to try the Prowess line.

She is using a 3 year old Wilson shock FX helmet and legs with a newer Mizuno chest. She really wants white helmet but have not found one that fits. She like the Schutte helmet and it fit really well but it was HEAVY!! I think it was mostly the cage.

The P2 is the intermediate size (11-13). Her head is average size (I guess). I did have to tighten the helmet quite a bit. Jen Schroeder said in a Facebook video that she thought the helmet runs big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 6, 2016
Wanted to piggyback on this old thread for some info.

DD 12 5-3 110 is looking for new leg guards. Just went through growth spurt and needs 14.5" shin pads.

Ive seen many like All Star Vela gear and also read on here that the Under Armor Junior Pro guards are nearly identical to Vela model bcuz UA is made by All Star as well.

And based on images of each...it appears they look almost exact same. Anyone use both Vela and UA or the UA model? We need 14.5 black and UA version is only one we can find at the moment.

She tried the System 7s but does not like the triple knee on those. Too large and bulky compared to double knee she's used.

lg_s7-bk_bc5cbb89-3ec4-46df-90a0-69fc74a8e935_600x_crop_center.jpg
uawlg2-bk_grande.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020
My DD had the all star vela guards and switched to the Jen Shro shins. She loves them and said her knees are never sore from blocking now. She will put the vela shins on sometimes when she is on concrete and doesnt want to scuff up her eastons. She hates the velas now

Mar 6, 2016
Hmm..yeah Ive looked at the Jen Schro ones as well. Just not many I know have them for feedback. Thanks for the info. How light are they compared to Velas? They look like they have more hard plastic wrapping around the leg and I wondered if they might be heavier/bulkier.

Thanks.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Hmm..yeah Ive looked at the Jen Schro ones as well. Just not many I know have them for feedback. Thanks for the info. How light are they compared to Velas? They look like they have more hard plastic wrapping around the leg and I wondered if they might be heavier/bulkier.

Thanks.

I've never seen the Jen Schro line of catcher's gear. Do you know what brand she's working with to make the gear? I'm intrigued to see what the gear is like.

May 4, 2020
DD is 12, 5' 3", 125 lbs. and will be playing 14u and JV. Would like some feed back on catchers set helmet, chest protector, shin guards. I have been looking at the Easton Prowess P2.
Thanks
We had original Prowess intermediate set. It was a solid set but a little big 15.5 for both chest & leg guards.
Purchased a UA Converge Pro 14.5 chest & legs and fits perfect. DD is just under 5’ 5” 130Lbs.
This set is sister set to Allstar System 7 set which both are great. Great head protection and the leg guards have gel in the knee area which is also nice.
A cheaper set I also like better than prowess is the Diamond IX5 set which I use for myself. Doesn’t have gel in the knee area but has easy on/off plastic clips which are great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802