Catchers dirt pitch recovery. Field the ball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I never really read through this thread before, but since I do a LOT of catching for our pitchers, I've started to wonder about some of what's commonly taught.

I'm not a catcher. At all. I never played the position. When I catch our pitchers, I wear shin guards but no other gear. I'm obviously not blocking, so I pick everything. And it's not hard, and since I'm not wearing other gear, I'm usually picking the ball while looking in the opposite direction -- you don't even need to see the ball to pick it 95% of the time.

There are probably some pitches where blocking is necessary, but I'm with RAD here. Field the ball (most of the time).

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I never really read through this thread before, but since I do a LOT of catching for our pitchers, I've started to wonder about some of what's commonly taught.

I'm not a catcher. At all. I never played the position. When I catch our pitchers, I wear shin guards but no other gear. I'm obviously not blocking, so I pick everything. And it's not hard, and since I'm not wearing other gear, I'm usually picking the ball while looking in the opposite direction -- you don't even need to see the ball to pick it 95% of the time.

There are probably some pitches where blocking is necessary, but I'm with RAD here. Field the ball (most of the time).
Thank you for taking the time to join talking about this CoachJD!

Generally I notice a lot of catchers
(heck of a lot of catchers)
when just catching bullpen will tend to use their glove and pick. ( eventho they may use blocking only in games)
Perhaps natural habit...Because that's what the glove on our hand is for LOL.
Plus most catcher additionally do a lot of Fielding drills, obviously using our glove is a tool.
Of which I like to use...
🙂 and I think @ANNASDAD likes gloves to...

As a runner when I see the other team has catchers who only block I know have an extra moment or so when that pitch goes in the dirt to steal the next base.

radness

Dec 13, 2019

Appreciate reading your comments @CoachJD.
What a wonderful thing to read here that discussions have been thought about in thinking through
Choices of Mechanics!

For me, fielding dirt pitches,
is additionally part of the philosophy
"approach to strategy'
on the field where I truly believe
'control the ball to control the game'
is both offensively and defensively critical to success. This includes every .10th of a second is critical to success!

* which means don't let the ball hit you and roll away, when we can field it and control the play!

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Catchers dirt pitch recovery.

Catchers are a defensive player behind the
plate. With the added pleasure of framing and throwing ruuners out! Use our glove to
field pitches including wild and dirt pitches to transition directly into our throw.
Enjoy
"Field & Fire"
Zero downtime.
Faster pop times!

Video povided with permission to use by parent.

Get RAD Training Workout

Lets throw runners out!

KEEP THE DISCUSSION GOING

Looky there 3 years to the date from my first post on Discuss Fastpitch!
*Dirt pitch recovery!
Lots of great discussions with fun personalities! 👍
WOOHOO keep the softball party going 🥳

Feb 13, 2021
Loved reading all these great opinions on catching! I'm jumping on this thread because of the enthusiasm for catching. I am about to begin my first day helping coach a 12U team. My focus will be primarily on the catchers and that's because that was the position I played back in the day. I'm trying to freshen up my knowledge because I played over 20 years ago and I know things can change. I'd love some good tried and true catching drills to help my girls out. Anyone have any to recommend? TIA

radness

Dec 13, 2019
HOW TO TRAIN CATCHERS GLOVE WORK
(bumped this post ⬇️)
To so cal Seth question how to train.

Call this knee's and posture.
Catcher on knee's.
Athletic strong posture
Shoulders slightly in front of knee's
( like athletic position on knee's)

Glove speed drill.
Strong arm out.
( not sideways)
Snap glove to ground.
Like turning a door knob.
Glove should make cave
( teeth down)
( not flat)
Strengthen arm.
Get quicker.

Now toss short hops
*underhand dirt pitches
*stand close for repetitions
Snap glove speed
( glove should make the cave)
( not flat pancake)

Repeat repeat repeat

Each time throwing hand reaches down to transition the ball.

To encourage good glove work....DO NOT pick up glove and scoop or turn over glove onto throwing hand.

Take ball out hand on top.
Like fielders field short hops or grounders.

Then go to catching position .
Work feet kick to strong
Posture with dirt pitch
With glove speed
*underhand dirt pitches
And transition taking ball out.

Repeat repeat repeat

Have young 9 year olds accomplish becomes dialed in befor ten years old.

Hope that was clear
Considering everywhere on the field the defense is expected to use our glove to field the ball. Recognizing how much the defense, from athletic position, gets grounders for glove work. Training to
Read the ball, often cutting the bounce off at the dirt. Or Staying down on slicing grounders using the glove...to prepare to be defensive players. As well Expected to use our glove on overhand throws that go into the dirt training short hops.
➡️ Generally in most cases catchers (who also play other defensive positions) are included in that
Defensive Fielding Glove Work.
➡️ Take Those Same Skill Sets and use/develop the catcher further from behind the plate.
➡️ Training a catcher's glove from our knees position should be included!
➡️ As catchers are defensive players behind the plate!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802