Catchers dirt pitch recovery. Field the ball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Each time throwing hand reaches down to transition the ball.

I am not a fan of that much exposure of the throwing hand. My preference...Blocking, the hand goes down behind the mitt. Receiving or picking, the hand stays against the chest protector up high. After a pick, the transfer happens in front of the chest as the mitt hand comes up into the throwing motion.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Exposure to throwing hand
Is part of fielding the ball.
Aka grounders
Regular catching and throwing
Fly balls.......

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Aka grounders
Reguelar catching and throwing
Fly balls.......
She has a point there. Tell them who you are Turbo. Opps! blew your cover.

So the counts 1 and 2 with runner on 1st. Coach call drop ball off the plate. Ball is 3 balls off the plate and low. Do you want your catcher to back up (donkey kick) and let the ball hit off her chest or move slightly forward and try to catch ball on short hop all while blocking too? Throw the glove at the ball and the body will follow. I don't think she is advocating lazy catching, just catching is primary over blocking with chest.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Drop Spin is great fielding short hop Pitch Usually does not dart to sides.
When they bounce out infront of plate can end up high bounce to chest.
Ball chips off dirt....

Side to side mechanics still catcher can position athletically on knee's and field short hop.

Always control the ball to control game.
Wild pitches too!
Gnarly high bounce to the chest does happen...
not frequently.

Knee's replace feet.
No dont move backwards.
When catcher moves backwards ball attacks them.
And can move farther and spin can create more movement in dirt

3 balls off the plate is nothing.
We get two body distances off the plate. Cover behind each batters box with
" field and fire"

Athletic catching stance and explosive lateral and horizontal movements a different discussion.

Turbo sayin'....really enjoy chattin in up softball!
Thanks DFP

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Aka grounders
Reguelar catching and throwing
Fly balls.......

Infielders do not have batters in front of them that can tip the ball in a significantly different direction at the last moment. Even balls that look like they are in the dirt get foul tipped pretty regularly. I strongly advocate protecting the throwing hand.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She has a point there. Tell them who you are Turbo. Opps! blew your cover.

So the counts 1 and 2 with runner on 1st. Coach call drop ball off the plate. Ball is 3 balls off the plate and low. Do you want your catcher to back up (donkey kick) and let the ball hit off her chest or move slightly forward and try to catch ball on short hop all while blocking too? Throw the glove at the ball and the body will follow. I don't think she is advocating lazy catching, just catching is primary over blocking with chest.

In that situation, I’m looking for my catcher to pick it and make a strong throw, if the runner is going. I’m of the opinion that it’s going to be done better more often by not dropping to both knees.

As RAD has mentioned, this is a skill that needs to be practiced (as does blocking).

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Eric F
So you'd rather catchers get hit by the ball on purpose?!

Caught pitchers who threw over 70 mph from 40 feet.
Released the ball about 35 feet away.
Its not a softball that hits the catcher
Its a cannon ball.

And the spin most pitches spins away from the catcher.

Over the years catchers and their parents thanked me because no more bruises getting hit by the ball.

Choices & decisions!

Do what you like. ;)

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric F
So you'd rather catchers get hit by the ball on purpose?!

Caught pitchers who threw over 70 mph from 40 feet.
Released the ball about 35 feet away.
Its not a softball that hits the catcher
Its a cannon ball.

Even at 43'feet released At about 38'feet the speed can be over 90 mph compared to base ball.

And the spin most pitches spins away from the catcher.

Over the years catchers and their parents thanked me because no more bruises getting hit by the ball.

Choices & decisions!

Do what you like. ;)

I advocate using a higher percentage move when you’re trying to hold a runner at 3B from scoring. I didn’t make this up, I just agree with the approach as it was described to me and instructed to my DD by someone who also played at the top levels of the game.

Understanding how a spinning ball is likely to react to bouncing on the ground is important for both picking and blocking. Blocking provides a significantly larger area to control the ball, which is why I prefer it for this situation.

As I have said from the beginning, I think there are times to block, and times to pick. I’m having trouble making sense of picking from your knees as a better choice. What’s the advantage of dropping to your knees? Why not just pick from your receiving stance?

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Yes catchers can pick / field from catching stance.
Go directly into throwing.

The knee's dropping is an additional position to get body behind the ball incase of high bounce that can occur. Strength and balance in knee's and posture supports throwing mechanics also.

Additionally knee's and posture utilized when moving to the sides to get behind the ball.
Athletic explosive range behind the plate.

Training and growth go hand in hand!

Like I commented earlier in the post this is discussion that brings attention to the catching position and brings awareness of the different mechanics and philosophies available.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Turbo - I greatly appreciate you sharing your approach to training catchers, and Ms. Navarro looks like a powerful athlete! I have no doubt you help girls become much better at playing the position. There are a couple of details that I prefer to see done a different way (early throwing hand exposure being the most significant), but the reality is that the game can put catchers into unusual situations and body positions, and it looks to me like you're giving your students a way to handle lots of different things. Thank you for your dedication to helping catchers get better :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28