Catcher-specific winter workouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
DD had a blast "starting" to learn the C position this fall season. It wasn't until the last 2 weeks that she actually attempted to get into a catcher's stance for the entire inning that she played it. She was up to 3 of 5 innings a game. She would've done more, but her legs were jelly after that and she starting becoming more of a liability than an asset. The goal is to increase her endurance and her lower-body strength. What kinds of exercises or drills have you all found success with that would help in either or both of those categories?

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I have 2 catchers in my house: 1 softball, 1 baseball. The single best "drill" my catchers have done to build leg endurance is to sit in the squat watching television. When a commercial comes on, stand up and take a break. When the show comes back, get back in the squat.

Decent catcher stretches are important as well. I don't have any video of that, but here is the drill work that both of my catchers do (I only have video of my son...but my daughter does the same drills):
[video=youtube_share;pVLQXdVJ-B0]http://youtu.be/pVLQXdVJ-B0[/video]

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Austin Wasserman has a good catcher's workout but you have to pay for it. My daughter said it was the best she's felt in her life after the first month.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
My DD worked with a trainer who had her do wall squats with a 20 lb medicine ball. He would have her use one leg at a time for 5 minute increments for 30 minutes. That really made her strong and built her endurance...

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
Austin Wasserman has a good catcher's workout but you have to pay for it. My daughter said it was the best she's felt in her life after the first month.

Just purchased this for my DD pitcher. She'll get in 9 of the 16 prescribed weeks before high school conditioning begins. It looks excellent, and is far, far cheaper than hiring a trainer if you already have access to a gym (or equipment).

Oct 10, 2011
We've had a trainer for years and it cost a small fortune. DD said this is better and Austin will change exercises if you don't have the right equipment. I also gave DD a financial incentive because she is saving me so much:)

Oct 10, 2011
Just ordered/downloaded it for the DD!!!! Thanks!!!!
What I did was print out the workout and Put Day 1 and Day 2 etc... on the wall with a print out of each exercise description in order. He changed a couple things for us but they were minor so I just wrote them on that particular page. DD said it makes it really easy for her to go down the list that way.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
What I did was print out the workout and Put Day 1 and Day 2 etc... on the wall with a print out of each exercise description in order. He changed a couple things for us but they were minor so I just wrote them on that particular page. DD said it makes it really easy for her to go down the list that way.

I printed it out and put it in a binder for her in page protectors (she hates the feel of paper). I am also going to put on her tablet so that it will be easier for her to take to the gym...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28