Catcher signal improper?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Why not just prohibit batters from positioning themselves inside the strike zone?

Why not just let them hit the ball off a tee? Seriously, noone has condoned intentionally hitting batters as questioned in the original post. And if a pitcher throws inside (plate black to batters box chalk) periodically, batters rarely will get HBP unless they're looking to reach base that way. Accidental HBP are a part of the game, intentional HBP are not. A coach should teach hitters the proper way to get hit if they can't get out of the way (i.e., turn front shoulder back toward catcher, protect the hands, and turtle the head and shoulders).

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Why not just prohibit batters from positioning themselves inside the strike zone?

If you do get in the zone, I'm going to give you an inside warning pitch. If your not getting the point from the warning...........you'll get the point on the next pitch. Respect goes both ways, batter respects the pitcher and the pitcher respects the batter. If one breaks the code, it's fair game.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
DD has been watching for the call in the college championships. Twice she called me to the tv and replayed on the DVR. First one early last week...DD says "look, batter get's beaned, now I will rewind and you can see catchers signal, the middle finger!" Then this weekend she showed me another team that was calling pitches with one finger for pitch and one for location. Catcher flashes four fingers four times real fast....batter beaned in shoulder.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
We teach our kids to "turn in" to an inside pitch. The rules state that a batter has to make a reasonable attempt to move out of the way from being hit, and turning in usually qualifies. What this does is teach them to take the hit on their back, shoulder, butt, hamstring, or helmet, which is far safer then taking it in their neck, knee, or bellies. It also teaches them that if the pitcher is going to try to "scare them off the plate", they're just going to have a runner on first.

Now, the girls just say, "Bring it on, if you hit me I'll be on base anyway.". They're no longer scared, they no longer flinch, and they get hurt a lot less. Getting hit by pitches IS part of the game, be it intentional or not. It's best to teach the girls how to get hit, for the same reasons we teach them how to dive for a catch and how to slide into home. It's not only better softball, it's better safety.

-W

Mar 13, 2010
This takes me back to my teenage baseball days. My catcher (unbeknownst to our coach) had a sign for "miscommunicated pitch-out" if the ump had a tiny strike zone. Only used it a few times on the "jello bros" (300+ lb umpires) as we called them. It didn't open up the strike zone any but we had some fun with it. "Oops sorry you got drilled blue......" Boys will be boys.

Would never coach my girls to try it however.
Yeah... real funny. I'd find a way to run your sorry a** so quick your head would be spinning. Typical rat coach.

Jan 13, 2009
Let me provide an alternative solution.

The revenge factor (often seen in baseball) does not have to be taken out on the players. You know that point in time where the opposing coach walks behind the catcher during in-between inning warm ups. Only seen it once but the pitcher "lost control" and hit the coach.

Happened after the pitcher's team mate was hit in the previous inning. Obviously no love lost between these teams.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have never understood the baseball mentality. A guy hits a HR, so the pitcher nails him next time up.

What is the pitcher trying to prove? You just put the guy on base.

Actually, he could hit someone in the neck or heart and kill him.

Jul 26, 2010
It's been a while since I played baseball in HS, but back then the only unwritten rule we had for beaning batters was when they hit your own pitcher we'd retaliate, not against the guy who hit a HR. We'd bean our own pitcher next practice for giving up a HR (jk).

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802