Catcher setup photos: Too far behind batter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2016
Had an All-American catcher tell my DD years ago that once the batter gets in the box, you should be able to reach out with your mitt and just barely not be able to touch her knee. Any closer and you might get hit by the bat. Any further away and you have no chance of framing up a close pitch for a strike and also drastically increases the chance of having to block a pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
Yeah one big problem with setting up so far back is if your umpire is not that good you are losing out on a lot of strikes especially at 10U.

She can be catching a ball almost off the ground that crossed the front of the plate knee high. Umpires can be uneasy about calling strikes when the catchers mitt touches the ground while catching because it just looks bad. The lefty is really bad, when I umped I tried to never give advice because well I'm not a coach at that point but I would probably say something to the coach just letting him know being so far away I don't have my natural vantage point to see the ball coming across the plate

May 19, 2016
Had an All-American catcher tell my DD years ago that once the batter gets in the box, you should be able to reach out with your mitt and just barely not be able to touch her knee.

Agreed, that's the most common way I've seen it explained, and what DD's been taught. She did a better job this past tournament of focusing on her setup. Maybe still a full glove away from touching batter's back knee., though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802