Catcher setup photos: Too far behind batter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 19, 2016
Any sound reason the catcher (my DD) should be set up this far behind a batter (first photo - lefty hitter), assuming batter doesn't have an extremely loopy swing?

Even in the second photo (righty hitter) with the batter farther up in the box, to me she still looks like she could set up about 8 inches closer at least to the batter.

Anybody think differently?

Lefty1.png

Righty1.png

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
Yeah, a little bit.

Assuming it's 10U, she could just be a bit on the timid side yet. Catching takes on not only a specific set of skills, but also a specific mind set as well. Sometimes, those two take some field experience to meld.

She's reaching a bit for those two pitches. Is that a common trait you see with her? Sometimes that's a protective measure if she's been beat up a little bit by a missed pitch, glove interference or a errant bat.

At some point, she should be taught how to more properly receive a ball without the need to reach for it. It'll help her close the distance to home plate, as well as quicken her reaction and transfer times.

Usually, you'll find an ump or two at that level will help out a little bit with positioning advice.

Chris

Nov 18, 2015
When I catch, I always feel the need to move back slightly when a lefty is up. May be completely mental - may just be a different perspective of having the batter on the other side of you.

The LHB can set up in the exact same spot as a RHB, but something in my head still says “you’re too close!”

Not a solution - just letting you know it’s not just her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 19, 2016
She's reaching a bit for those two pitches. Is that a common trait you see with her? Sometimes that's a protective measure if she's been beat up a little bit by a missed pitch, glove interference or a errant bat.

At some point, she should be taught how to more properly receive a ball without the need to reach for it. It'll help her close the distance to home plate, as well as quicken her reaction and transfer times.

The ball hasn't left the pitcher's hand yet in either photo, her arm is in her "set" position, before making any move to receive. Assuming the pitch was received directly into her glove location as shown, with no arm movement, do you think she is reaching? Top photo is no runners on, bottom is runner on first.

Her elbow should be slightly bent, not barred. From this angle it's hard to tell but her arm looks almost straight, maybe giving the appearance that she reaches. In general, she does a pretty good job receiving, but she's not consistent with her form.

May 19, 2016
When I catch, I always feel the need to move back slightly when a lefty is up. May be completely mental - may just be a different perspective of having the batter on the other side of you.

The LHB can set up in the exact same spot as a RHB, but something in my head still says “you’re too close!”

Not a solution - just letting you know it’s not just her!

Hearing your experience is helpful. You say you move back slightly for a lefty, but my DD's position seems extreme doesn't it? I'm chalking it up to lack of concentration in general, and not repositioning as needed for each batter, specifically.

Nov 18, 2015
Yes - I may move only a few inches, or angle my body differently. Hers is definitely an extreme adjustment.

If a righty is up next - does she move back closer?

Have her draw a line across (from L to R) to use as a reference, then just adjust from there if the batters sets up at the back (or front) of the box.

Nov 18, 2015
Also - a few more general observations:
1. She’s setting up a high target. Glove position is usually around the batters knees.
2. If no ones on in the first one, she can get her butt lower, which will help lower the target as well.
3. Protect that hand! It shouldn’t be in that spot, and it shouldn’t be that far out front if no ones on. If she was trying to tuck her thumb into her shin guard strap, she should use the one by her ankle, not outer-knee.

May 19, 2016
If a righty is up next - does she move back closer?

She usually sets up in one spot and stays there unless a batter is way back in the box, then she'll move back. But then she may stay in that new spot for the next batter and not adjust for that new batter, who may be more forward in the box.

I don't recall ever seeing her that far back from a hitter before, it's not her usual set. But in this last tournament it was for some reason.

May 19, 2016
She’s setting up a high target. Glove position is usually around the batters knees.

Yep. I've preached it from Day One, and she knows to set at the knees and is pretty good about it, but not so much at this last tournament. She said the coach was calling a lot of rise balls and my DD probably wanted to have her glove higher in order to have time to react and catch it from our fastest pitcher. The pitchers last year really didn't throw a lot of rise balls.

I may start a thread on this subject as I have some specific questions regarding intended pitch location and where (and when) the catcher should set her glove. From what I've read in older threads on this site and others, opinions vary.

Protect that hand!...
She get's sloppy with her form at times, especially in the third game of the day. I think it again goes back to mental focus. I'd like to see her had behind her mitt with runners on, however she's been reluctant to do it ("doesn't feel natural", well of course not you haven't practiced it!). I'll likely force the issue at some point but need to pick my spots with her.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee