Catcher Pop times

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My response to the point being made by @Lance Steckler is that

Unfortunately there are people that do not invest any time to learn more than what they think they already know.

And is also the reason why I bring up things that seem like 'simple should already understand comments' but really are not always the case.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This is one of those things all coaches would agree with, yet most times I see catchers working on throw downs the MIF’ers are camped at second taking the throws. I like to purposely make my middles late to cover just so they get used to making an athlete play/tag on the move. You are rarely ever there just waiting for the ball.

You're doing it right. Learning to catch and tag while running is an important skill. So is learning to throw - off either foot - while on the run.

Oct 26, 2019
You're doing it right. Learning to catch and tag while running is an important skill. So is learning to throw - off either foot - while on the run.
Thanks. We incorporate throwing off balance and on the run daily. The girls love working on the “Jeter throw”. My assistant asked me once if I thought we would ever actually do it in a game. I told him I highly doubt it, but the body control and ability to throw off balance still translates.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks. We incorporate throwing off balance and on the run daily. The girls love working on the “Jeter throw”. My assistant asked me once if I thought we would ever actually do it in a game. I told him I highly doubt it, but the body control and ability to throw off balance still translates.

Yep. It's another tool in the box. You might never use it, but it's there if you need it. The magical SS my DD played with in 16U/18U was one of the best I've seen for being able to throw hard from a wide variety of body positions and movement directions, with a minimal number of steps before release. I don't know if this was something she was trained on as a younger player, or just a product of her excellent athleticism, but it was really fun to watch.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
at some point recently there were a bunch of video clips of mostly professional catchers throwing down to 2b, taken from game footage and stop watch applied. The fastest I saw was Aubry Munro in the 1.79 sec range. most others were in the 1.9-2.0sec range. again, actual game footage was used.

And again my point, if the 'best' can't be faster than 1.7xsec on a pop time....how in the heck is a random catcher from mid-west hitting a 1.56sec time??? they easy answer is that she isn't.
In a pop time drill, catchers cheat, and cheat big time. They usually are higher in the crouch and almost always moving their feet prior to receiving the pitch.. Call it the equivalent of a 4-6-3 double play for the SS. DD lowest when she was younger was 1.59, but again cheating. There's now way this technique works in games, 1- the catcher would miss a lot of strikes hoping out of the crouch every pitch, and 2- they would tire out within the inning.

From my experience, the best way to get a real pop time in tryouts is to ensure that the catchers have to receive low pitches. This way you'll see who has lightning fast release and can throw from down low. Attached is a tryout pop time for my DD in 2020 when she was in 14u.. Again, this is faster than her game speed times which I think are in the 1.8-1.9 range.

Totally agree, 1.85sec and below the SS or 2B's knee will get every runner, every time.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD's best in games was generally around 1.8-1.9, but she got to the point where she could read how much she had to hustle the throw based on how fast the runner was or how good a jump they got. There were times my DD and her SS made it look downright easy.

This was 1.9...

As discussed, SS needs to wait when they are working on this at practice. They have a responsibility to play the batted ball first, and can't move to the bag until after the pitch is received, which means that they will very often be moving when they are receiving the throw from C.

On a side note...Maddie loved making this out. The runner was a former teammate and close friend, and she always loved winning those battles. When the runner got back to the dugout, her coach told her, "You're going to have to cheat (leave early) to beat Maddie".

Oct 26, 2019
My DD's best in games was generally around 1.8-1.9, but she got to the point where she could read how much she had to hustle the throw based on how fast the runner was or how good a jump they got. There were times my DD and her SS made it look downright easy.

This was 1.9...

As discussed, SS needs to wait when they are working on this at practice. They have a responsibility to play the batted ball first, and can't move to the bag until after the pitch is received, which means that they will very often be moving when they are receiving the throw from C.

On a side note...Maddie loved making this out. The runner was a former teammate and close friend, and she always loved winning those battles. When the runner got back to the dugout, her coach told her, "You're going to have to cheat (leave early) to beat Maddie".

This throw is a good example of what I call “throwing in rhythm”. She is not rushing, but instead moving with a purpose, controlled. Her arm action is a tad longer than some other catchers, but this ball in the video looks like it’s thrown close to 70 mph which definitely helps. Thanks for posting. I always enjoy Maddie’s videos.

Get your right foot underneath you, left foot to target, and throw gas. Doesn’t have to be too complicated 😀

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Have NEVER heard a college coach say
WAIT longer before you/CATCHER throw the ball so defense can get in place.

Have heard college coaches say GET the ball there as FAST as you/CATCHER can!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Former MLB catcher, Keith Osik, is a neighbor of mine and local baseball TB/D3 coach. He gives clinics at the local facility where we used to play when we played locally. I asked him his thoughts on throwing from your knees, like a lot of fastpitch players do, or popping and throwing. He said the most important thing was an accurate throw. It doesn't matter if you have a 1.0 second pop time if the ball goes in the right center field gap!

He also stressed the accurate throws for another reason. Bad throws get your SS or 2B hurt. He told me about a minor league game where a runner attempted to steal second, and his bad throw drew the SS over the bag into the runners path. The SS hit the helmet of the runner with his knee and shattered his knee cap. I believe he said the runner had a wicked concussion from the impact with the knee and ground.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802