Catcher Pop times

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Agree on accuracy is really important!
Some catchers are faster throwing from feet and some are faster throwing from knees.
As to throwing from knees or feet is relative of where the pitch location is.

In either case streamlining the efficiency of throwing mechanics with accuracy while producing throwing speed is a combination that should be worked on
*From ALL positions feet and crouch one knee or two knees after dirt pitch.

Being able to retrieve the Wilder pitches in the air and to the sides and in the dirt is a critical defensive requirement that includes throwing Runners out!
Not just a defensive maneuver to catch/stop block the ball.
*The goal is transitioning the ball to Throw Runners Out!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Former MLB catcher, Keith Osik, is a neighbor of mine and local baseball TB/D3 coach. He gives clinics at the local facility where we used to play when we played locally. I asked him his thoughts on throwing from your knees, like a lot of fastpitch players do, or popping and throwing. He said the most important thing was an accurate throw. It doesn't matter if you have a 1.0 second pop time if the ball goes in the right center field gap!

He also stressed the accurate throws for another reason. Bad throws get your SS or 2B hurt. He told me about a minor league game where a runner attempted to steal second, and his bad throw drew the SS over the bag into the runners path. The SS hit the helmet of the runner with his knee and shattered his knee cap. I believe he said the runner had a wicked concussion from the impact with the knee and ground.
Yep! Unfortunately bad throws can put the defense in a hard position!
Especially an off-spin that bends the ball either away from the Fielder and or into the runner!

Proper 12-6 spin helps accuracy big time!!!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12