Catcher pop time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
I have a mostly stupid question, but my DD only has one rec season of catcher under her belt. So I am learning.

This pop time is it form the time the ball hits her glove to the time the ball leaves her or the time the balls reaches its target?

Oct 26, 2019
I have a mostly stupid question, but my DD only has one rec season of catcher under her belt. So I am learning.

This pop time is it form the time the ball hits her glove to the time the ball leaves her or the time the balls reaches its target?
Time it hits her glove til it hits the second baseman’s (or SS) glove covering second

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Its really not a stupid question.
Its an important question!

Understanding details are part of growing. Glad you asked about it!

Pop time= glove to glove
Or
If blocking with body= from moment it hits catchers body to when it reaches other defensive glove.

Some think its from when ball comes out of throwing hand.
To other glove.
That would be= Throwing speed.

Pop time includes the time it takes for the catcher to receive the pitch and throw the ball AND the throw itself, includes time it takes to travel to intended target.

Really important distinction between pop time and throwing speed.
Some people immediately think the faster throwing catcher has a better pop time.
Which is not always correct.

Mechanics and transition speed are a huge factor when timing pop times.
Tenths of a second add up quickly!!

Mar 28, 2020
Its really not a stupid question.
Its an important question!

Understanding details are part of growing. Glad you asked about it!

Pop time= glove to glove
Or
If blocking with body= from moment it hits catchers body to when it reaches other defensive glove.

Some think its from when ball comes out of throwing hand.
To other glove.
That would be= Throwing speed.

Pop time includes the time it takes for the catcher to receive the pitch and throw the ball AND the throw itself, includes time it takes to travel to intended target.

Really important distinction between pop time and throwing speed.
Some people immediately think the faster throwing catcher has a better pop time.
Which is not always correct.

Mechanics and transition speed are a huge factor when timing pop times.
Tenths of a second add up quickly!!

Thanks....between watching the videos of Mandy and the two replies I have changed my DD's workout. we are only focusing on mechanics.....from time ball hits glove until ball in in throwing hand...feet and hand mechanics

Once she gets automatic on that we will transition into the throw.....hopefully we can have a huge improvement her second season (ok she only played in 4 games last season as catcher).

Thanks

Mar 6, 2016
Thanks....between watching the videos of Mandy and the two replies I have changed my DD's workout. we are only focusing on mechanics.....from time ball hits glove until ball in in throwing hand...feet and hand mechanics

Once she gets automatic on that we will transition into the throw.....hopefully we can have a huge improvement her second season (ok she only played in 4 games last season as catcher).

Thanks

Yep, no matter how quick/fast a catcher's pop time is...if you got Penelope Pitcher throwing changeups at 35 mph, there's no way the catcher is going to get the runner. Whereas when Princess Pitcher is throwing GAS at 55-65 mph...makes the catcher's job much easier and better chance of gunning down the runner. ;)

Mar 28, 2020
One more question. What drills did you use in the beginning stages of developing your DDs POP abilities? I am at the beginning when I say beginning she played maybe 4 games in about 2 innings each game. I am at the early early stages. She is 11 turning 12 this year.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
One more question. What drills did you use in the beginning stages of developing your DDs POP abilities? I am at the beginning when I say beginning she played maybe 4 games in about 2 innings each game. I am at the early early stages. She is 11 turning 12 this year.

Focus on technique and proper mechanics. Repeat footwork patterns for throws to all bases, starting REALLY slowly. Speed will come as the muscle memory for the sequence of movements starts to come together. There are some coaches who push speed right from the beginning, and it breeds sloppy technique. I'm a believer in getting the technique right first.

Apr 28, 2014
Every 10MPH drop in speed is just about .14 of a second difference in time it takes for a pitch to arrive.
60 MPH pitch arrives in .397 seconds
40 MPH pitch arrives in .680 seconds
Change ups don't really hurt catchers as much as it may seem.
There's probably .4 seconds in technique issues alone that can be corrected for most catchers (transfer, arm angle).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802