Catcher pop time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2015
Ideal?...1.7 or better. That's also D1 college level. ;)

Sub 2.0 is decent, but not exceptional, for HS.
I appreciate the response...my catcher will be in 9th and has a 2.08 on her feet...so I was just trying to find out what goal she needs to shoot for...thanks

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A good pop time is not just about how hard the player can throw the ball, but is a combination of the whole sequence - catch, transfer, release, and throw velocity. I find that release time is often affected by the feet more than anything else. Get them to move their feet faster, and it speeds up everything. Speed up the tempo of the dance!

This is what a 1.8 pop looks like (my DD was in 9th grade at the time)...

May 7, 2015
SoCal
1.7 is blazing and as indicated, D1 level. Anything in the 1.8's is perfectly fine. Once you get down to those times, throwing accuracy far outweighs any additional gains in time (i.e. 1.87sec and perfect throw > 1.72 and thrown to wrong side of the bag, or high)

Mar 6, 2016
Not much. She mostly works from her feet, but commented to me that she needs to tune up her knee throwing skills. This was from her team practice last night (not 100% speed/effort)...

This was a couple of years ago (13yo)...

LOVE IT! Love the ump giving her a fist bump at the end. 👊👍 Both my DDs are catchers, one righty one lefty and its such a cool feeling when they throw somebody out. 😀

May 24, 2013
So Cal
LOVE IT! Love the ump giving her a fist bump at the end. 👊👍 Both my DDs are catchers, one righty one lefty and its such a cool feeling when they throw somebody out. 😀

It was a friendly game, so things were a bit more relaxed with the ump - LOL.

Dual barrel catchers. Excellent!! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802