catcher OBS?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Tex

Sep 13, 2011
Some replies were close to the correct answer. The catcher or any fielder cannot block any part of the any base including home plate without possession of the ball. This is considered impeding the runner. Impeding the runner could mean, but not limited to the runner: changing directions, speed, cannot run thru the base, forced to slide, forcing the runner to use another portion of the base, etc.
If the defensive player has control and possession of the ball, before the runner is impeded, the defensive player can camp out and read the newspaper while sitting on the base. Cannot not tell in the enclosed photo where the ball is or what happened during this play for both the runner and catcher.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Some replies were close to the correct answer. The catcher or any fielder cannot block any part of the any base including home plate without possession of the ball. This is considered impeding the runner. Impeding the runner could mean, but not limited to the runner: changing directions, speed, cannot run thru the base, forced to slide, forcing the runner to use another portion of the base, etc.
If the defensive player has control and possession of the ball, before the runner is impeded, the defensive player can camp out and read the newspaper while sitting on the base. Cannot not tell in the enclosed photo where the ball is or what happened during this play for both the runner and catcher.

A clarification....The catcher/fielder can block the plate/base all they want without the ball. It does not become obstruction until the moment the runner's progress is actually impeded. Where the runner might be in the future is not a consideration.

Jun 22, 2008
The fielder can camp out and read the paper on top of the base without the ball until such time as they actually hinder the runner.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jul 4, 2018
san diego ca
I also think if you rotated that photo and looked straight down the line, you would see her foot is in fair territory, meaning she is not blocking the plate in a manner that would impede the runner
the entire plate is in fair territory so i'm not sure this is correct... blocking the entire plate can easily be done in fair territory... :cool:

Jul 31, 2019
Not in my world, but in the three other rules threads today it has been proven I don't understand this game at all.

That catcher is exactly where I would coach a girl to set up. If anything, I think she may be giving up too much of the plate.
Agreed!

May 29, 2015
But if there were, it would have been the best obstruction you had ever seen ... more obstruction than any catcher had ever committed in history or even the future for that matter. The finest and most innocent obstruction ...

And you would have loved it. They all say so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802