catcher OBS?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2019
The catcher did not cause the runner to alter her path, and received the ball prior to contact. Can't see how that's obstruction. Bang, bang play though. I can see how it was called live, but frame by frame it's clear that it was not.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
After seeing the video not OBS. However, I can cut the PU slack for making that error in real time.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Look at everybody flipping! 😁
IDK I think most of the early responses were some variety of well if she had the ball not obstruction, if she didn't then yes obstruction.

Close call either way and which ever way the ump called it decent chance the manager of the team who did not get the call is comeing out for an expalanation,

Sep 29, 2014
Yeah that is the definition of bang bang I think the biggest reason he calls obstruction is even though she has the ball before the runner arrives she catches it out front. Umpire sees in that split second as girl catches ball runner slides into foot the catcher reaches back after runner is stopped from the plate, just feels like obstruction because of the stopped slide then afterwards the tag applied. I'm not faulting the umpire either way for a live call that is that close. Being 100% by the book in slow motion that is technically not obstruction.

and to previous poster, not sure what you meant by sliding teaching that sliding technique but yes that is what I taught my girls (not spikes up) but whenever you see its a close play and have committed to sliding you go full speed (this girl kinda slows down a little) and then without regard to where the defender is you slide hard and direct at the base....no figuring out where my best angle is, can I slide around, should I hook slide or slide by none of that, just go full speed (especially at plate since you can slide through) directly to plate. My DD was a very aggressive runner always going for the extra base and I can promise you (even when she was 100 lbs 12yr old) she would have been safe on this play a catcher can't stop a full speed slide like that with just her foot. As for the catcher played absolutely perfectly this could be a training video.

Nov 18, 2015
not sure what you meant by...teaching that sliding technique

I think that was my post you were referring to. I was asking if sliding directly into the catchers shin guard like that was something anyone teaches. I know sliding is far from an exact science, and she may very well have been trying to hit the back corner and get behind the catchers foot.

It just looked so direct, that I was wondering if she aimed for the shin guard on purpose to draw OBS. (I'm thinking no, but maybe a coach out there does teach that for the .05% of plays that end with a catch-n-tag at home plate?)

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Also, for the umps...are you taught to be in the "wedge" (vs this guy's positioning - 1BX)? Seems he isn't in position to see the tag, and the wedge guys would be all over him for that, not to mention not in great position to see obstructing the plate or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802