Catcher mitt for bucket dad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
Father of a soon to be 12U and 14U. Outfield glove busted again. I figure I will get either a first base or catchers mitt to continue serving as Bucket Dad. In the $50-$75 range what would you look at?

Louisville zephyr 32.5" looks decent and broken in? too small for adult?
Mizuno 34" supreme looks good
How about the Hybrid gloves?

Thanks!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Don't forget the shin guards! Also, I've considered putting on a mask when having a 14U+ kid follow a 10U! Sucks to confuse a FB for a change...

I seriously need to follow your lead! I've had 2 weeks break of from sitting on a bucket and my hand is still sore! I'm well overdue for a new glove...

Sep 10, 2013
i use a mizuno MVP prime 34". nice glove, but a tad hard to break in.
use soccer shin guards and an Umpire's Mask - these are a must when catching 14u and above, IMHO

Aug 28, 2013
A little higher than your price range, but I just bought the Boombah 1st base/Catchers mitt. My 11 yr old is throwing about 43 so not quite hard enough to require a catchers mitt, but getting close.

The mitt is fantastic. Large enough for a "man" sized hand (9.5 inch) and easy to break in.

Aug 21, 2013
Guys. Do not forget the other piece of equipment that comes in handy when they throw one in the dirt and it bounces up. Just saying.

Jun 13, 2009
I know Hillhouse is has an endorsement deal with Akadema. He gets anything from them at dealer cost, DD and I both have used Akadema stuff since we went to him. It was a few years ago but, I got the $119 catcher mitt for $70 and absolutely love it. I'm sure others do too but Akadema makes an actual fastpitch catchers' mitt, which has extra thumb padding which has been a lifesaver. If you go to the Akadema site and find something you want, all you have to do is email HH and he'll get it for you.

cg

Oct 19, 2009
Don't forget the shin guards! Also, I've considered putting on a mask when having a 14U+ kid follow a 10U! Sucks to confuse a FB for a change...

I seriously need to follow your lead! I've had 2 weeks break of from sitting on a bucket and my hand is still sore! I'm well overdue for a new glove...

Shin guards have saved my legs more than once, I've also started wearing an old batting helmet with a wire cage to protect my noggin. The other day a drop hit the ground and got up under the helmet and popped my chin, so a mask would be better and I have been looking for a chest protector, at 61 and a stroke victim I need all the protection I can get these days. :cool:

I used an old first baseman mitt and my hand is red and sore after a cession so a catchers mitt IMO would be better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28