Catcher helmet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

My DD is very similar to Eric's DD in that she didn't like the fit of the All-Star. She used one for about two years and was constantly messing with it. The favorite that she's tried on was also the Pro-X. We ended up purchasing a Jen Shro mask thinking it'd be very similar to the Pro-X. The fit wasn't quite the same and she doesn't like it as much. The moisture wicking covering on the padding on the inside came out on it as well.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I know the price alone will turn most (nearly ALL!) away, but the evoshield catchers pro-srz helmet is LEGIT... DD uses a Wilson Pro Stock, I like it but DD recently came back from concussion protocol (minor) from a foul tip and I wanted to test the waters on something new. It's interesting, one of the biggest selling points on the prostock was the no cage mounts on the forehead... Haha, after analyzing it, thats not entirely true, there is a metal tab that anchors the cage on the forehead that can only be seen from fiddling with it...It's purposely hidden inside the helmt to give the appearance of "no fasteners". Also, I've never been that happy with the current foam padding, it seems awfully dense and not forgiving enough. Time to move on so I went with the Pro-SRZ.

I'll put up a full review shortly, but it is GREAT... The helmet is LIGHT, but the best part is that the padding is very similar to schutt's air pads, maybe even a little softer.. They contracted Windpact for the pads, very light and cushiony pads, huge fan so far. It has the forehead mounts, not ideal, but the pads and lightness of the helmet more than make up for it.

Definite thumbs up from me.
1620409066481.png

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I know the price alone will turn most (nearly ALL!) away, but the evoshield catchers pro-srz helmet is LEGIT... DD uses a Wilson Pro Stock, I like it but DD recently came back from concussion protocol (minor) from a foul tip and I wanted to test the waters on something new. It's interesting, one of the biggest selling points on the prostock was the no cage mounts on the forehead... Haha, after analyzing it, thats not entirely true, there is a metal tab that anchors the cage on the forehead that can only be seen from fiddling with it...It's purposely hidden inside the helmt to give the appearance of "no fasteners". Also, I've never been that happy with the current foam padding, it seems awfully dense and not forgiving enough. Time to move on so I went with the Pro-SRZ.

I'll put up a full review shortly, but it is GREAT... The helmet is LIGHT, but the best part is that the padding is very similar to schutt's air pads, maybe even a little softer.. They contracted Windpact for the pads, very light and cushiony pads, huge fan so far. It has the forehead mounts, not ideal, but the pads and lightness of the helmet more than make up for it.

Definite thumbs up from me.
View attachment 22004

First I've heard of this. Thanks for sharing! I love that the manufacturers are taking some significant steps in the area of impact protection technology. The Windpact concept looks really excellent. I look forward to hearing more about the helmet.

It may be just luck, so far, but since moving to the Easton Pro-X helmet, my DD hasn't had another concussion incident from foul tips off her helmet. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
My opinion is that if a pitcher is throwing gas (60+) and low pitch draws the catchers eyes down(followed by a tilting of the head down) a foul tip landing exactly in the center of the forehead is a recipe for a mild concussion. It is an exceptionally low probability hit. I've been aware that it occurs, but as soon as I saw it, I knew that was the one. DD finished the game and ended up with a HUGE triple but afterwards was feeling out of it which grew into light and sound sensitivity.

Never underestimate the need for safety for catchers, please choose the best equipment that you can. I think helmets are good, but honestly the design engineer in me see LOTS more on the table regarding foul tip safety for catchers.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Not sure about the weight issue, and I know some have downplayed the Force3 in this thread. But, from a safety aspect, the extended cage at the forehead and the spring suspension on the Defender V3, combined with the Kevlar reinforced padding make for the safest hockey-style mask out there. Just my $0.02 from dealing with 85+ fastballs on the baseball diamond.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not sure about the weight issue, and I know some have downplayed the Force3 in this thread. But, from a safety aspect, the extended cage at the forehead and the spring suspension on the Defender V3, combined with the Kevlar reinforced padding make for the safest hockey-style mask out there. Just my $0.02 from dealing with 85+ fastballs on the baseball diamond.

There is little argument that the Force3 Defender is the most protective catcher's helmet currently available. It's very much a safety-first design. However, it's heavy and ugly, and for a lot of players, those are immediate no-go issues.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Form over function.... It is protective gear, not designer clothing. I get that these are girls and appearances count to some extent. I guess they will be the best looking concussion victims around. (Just being snarky, truly I get that they want to look good, but at what price and who are they looking good for when they are already getting sweaty and dirty playing ball?)

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD always liked Diamond's equipment - doesn't get much attention, but a great fit.
DD started with the iX3 then went through Wilson, Easton, All-Stars and Schutt through the years. The most comfortable for her was the Schutt and Diamond. Because she only had 2 more years to play and price, she's now in the iX5.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23