Catcher cooling in summer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2019
Just wandering if there is any good products out there to keep our catchers cool during 3-4 games a day during the summer. We've tried the Kool katcher but her hair is so thick that she hardly felt that last year. We have cooling towels,ice packs,and mist fans but wandering off there was anymore ideas. Thanks

Oct 16, 2019
Lots of cool water to drink, shade when possible, and cold cooling towels on the back of her neck. So from what you said, it looks like you have it covered.

Jul 27, 2021
We use cool catcher (cool-catcher.com), an ice vest and have a ryobi fan/mister in the dugout when the middle of the summer hits.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Just wandering if there is any good products out there to keep our catchers cool during 3-4 games a day during the summer. We've tried the Kool katcher but her hair is so thick that she hardly felt that last year. We have cooling towels,ice packs,and mist fans but wandering off there was anymore ideas. Thanks
I remember those days of DD just getting worked harder than a rented mule! The cooling vest didn't work for her, to many layers for circulation to get to the vest and evaporate plus just too humid. Cooling towels soaked in ice water for between innings were great for the neck, bucket mister for cooling the face.

Good luck! It does get better as they age up.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
My 2 cents of suggestions:
1.) Hydration starts days before.
2.) Wet rags in a pitcher of water, surrounded by ice in a cooler are fast ways to get the body temperature cools down. Wrap around the back of her neck under her hair after each half inning in the dugout. Rotate as needed.
3.) During the game, watered down sports drinks or plain water.
4.) Kiwi and Bananas between games.

May 11, 2014
Have heard of catchers wearing, I think they are called "camel backs", allows the catcher to constantly drink while catching. Don't know how effective they are

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My 2 cents of suggestions:
1.) Hydration starts days before.
2.) Wet rags in a pitcher of water, surrounded by ice in a cooler are fast ways to get the body temperature cools down. Wrap around the back of her neck under her hair after each half inning in the dugout. Rotate as needed.
3.) During the game, watered down sports drinks or plain water.
4.) Kiwi and Bananas between games.
Yes to this^^^^
And Parents should do the same. This summer is on track to be one of "those" summers. We have been fortunate the past 10 years to not have super hot summer.

Add in shade.

Nutrition is Super Important.

Limit the Sports Drinks. I am in the Safety Industry and Heat Stress is an important area that we support. When DD was in 10U we had one of the hottest summers on record in 2011 in Texas. She had a heat exhaustion episode and he had to monitor her ever since.

Limit the Sports Drinks. In order for electrolytes to work properly, the water molecules serve as transportation for the vitamins and minerals throughout the body. If they are not already hydrated the sports drinks will not work properly and can actually harm the body especially those drinks with sugars in them. Looks for the sugar free or low sugar options if possible. I sell Sqwincher products. They are actually formulated for the "industrial athlete" who work 8 hours in the day. Once the temperature hits 80 OSHA requirements kick in. Huh? It's 78 degrees in my house!

Stay safe and Stay Hydrated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802