Catcher calling her own game in 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
For me the takeaway from this thread is not the catcher calling the game. Rather that there appears to be a unicorn 12U, "C" level pitcher with enough command where calling pitches for her is plausible. Color me skeptical but I suspect that this was more of an exercise in indulgence rather than actual pitch calling.

Apr 26, 2019
For me the takeaway from this thread is not the catcher calling the game. Rather that there appears to be a unicorn 12U, "C" level pitcher with enough command where calling pitches for her is plausible. Color me skeptical but I suspect that this was more of an exercise in indulgence rather than actual pitch calling.

That may well be the case. In any event, it wasn't anything I'd seen before in any of my DD's games at 10U or 12U. It struck me as something unique.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma

You've probably just been fortunate enough to be removed from this age group for long enough to forget that there are plenty of parents who would let their kid play at that level just to guarantee that they get to to be the best player on the team and/or stack that shelf at home with $6 rings. :LOL:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The catcher is easily that team's best player and could probably play for any team in the area from what I saw that game and the game where we played them. I'm not an expert, but it would seem she must have an exceptional understanding of the game to be calling her own game at that age. Is this common or am I just impressed because I haven't seen it before with this age of players?

This was common until about 10 years ago.

Calling pitches isn't rocket science. Pitchers don't have many pitches to choose from.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
While Catching, called pitches every game, my entire career.

To sluggers comment,

Calling pitches isn't rocket science. Pitchers don't have many pitches to choose from.
Pitches to choose from MAY be limited for younger pitchers,
However locations are important for every pitcher!
Then lets apply learning hitters and recognizing their tendencies including weaknesses.
Learning quickly the umpires strikezone and applying it each game.
Now to acknowledge catching pitchers who each CAN & DO THROW MULTIPLE PITCHES.
With varied speeds, spins & movement.

Enjoyed the decades behind the plate calling pitches!
Also Enjoy the decades of catching students given their opportunities to call the game!

Heres a fact~
Throughout the years
Even the top tier 12u 14u 16u 18u teams have & do allow their catchers to call games!
Maybe thats a hidden secret :)
Not a secret anymore ;) 👍

CATCHERS HAVE THE BEST VIEW OF WHAT PITCHERS ARE DOING EACH DAY!
KEEP THEM IN THE LOOP OF CALLING PITCHES !

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019
While Catching, called pitches every game, my entire career.

To sluggers comment,

Pitches to choose from MAY be limited for younger pitchers,
However locations are important for every pitcher!
Then lets apply learning hitters and recognizing their tendencies including weaknesses.
Learning quickly the umpires strikezone and applying it each game.
Now to acknowledge catching pitchers who each CAN & DO THROW MULTIPLE PITCHES.
With varied speeds, spins & movement.

Enjoyed the decades behind the plate calling pitches!
Also Enjoy the decades of catching students given their opportunities to call the game!

Heres a fact~
Throughout the years
Even the top tier 12u 14u 16u 18u teams have & do allow their catchers to call games!

Ok, a few questions about that:
Does/could that make the catcher a better hitter?
Did you ever have a situation where you had an at bat against a pitcher that you had previously caught? If so, id be interested to her how it afected approach on both sides being that you had seen her pitches amd knew them well. Maybe its not much different than a pitcher you have faced several times say one in your division.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Heres a fact~
Throughout the years

You really cannot conflate what happens in TB with what happens in College. It is a textbook apples to oranges comparison. When you have extensive stats, spray charts and videos of all the hitters you will be facing, along with someone on the coaching staff who has a job to develop a pitching strategy things are very different. Which is the top teams in college do not rely on a catcher to develop a pitching strategy. College coaches get paid to win games, not to indulge in the nostalgia of catchers calling the game.

Absent any actionable data, the scenario you have in TB, I will put a magic 8 ball up against any TB catcher.

Jun 11, 2013
I know a kid who used to call pitches at 10. She had been around the game since she was 6 watching her older sister play. She is one of the best catchers in the country now. We used to have out C call pitches at 14U. The only thing we had was a sign when we did not want a strike thrown.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I usually call pitches for a 12u team but told the catcher to go for it during the last pool game to call the pitches. She did awesome! The pace was much quicker and suited that pitcher better. She communicated well with the pitcher between innings. After the first inning I heard the pitcher tell the catcher, dont be afraid to call the change up on any count!
I will start letting catchers call more pool games and let them start thinking how to set batters up. It opened my eyes up a little more to letting the catchers be the leaders
For the love of God, coaches please work on getting the signs to your catcher quicker. Maybe even planning ahead what you might be calling on the next pitch. Not only will you be helping your pitcher and defense, you will be making the game more entertaining. AND if you are using wristbands please stop until you are very efficient at doing so. In other words, if you are going to use them you need to spend a lot of your practice time working with them. We played a team recently that took a good 30 to 45 seconds between pitches. I would rather watch paint dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802