Catcher bouncing the ball to second base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Spin on thrown bouncing ball
can throw off trajectory.
Ball can bounce left/right.

Dirt consistancy can also affect how ball bounces or not.

Where ball bounces (close short hop or farther out) adds another judgement on fielders end.

*Bouncing throw when NOT NEEDED adds extra variables to contend with.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
Ca.
Coaches usually ask the catcher to one-hop a throw from their knees if she is coming in too high, or throwing rainbows, and when from her feet, if she is coming in weak, and throwing rainbows. It's better to have a low hard throw that hits four feet in front, then a throw that is four feet to high, or just weak and slow getting to the base. A good SS or 2ndbase should be able to field a one-hopper just as well as a laser throw.

Since she is playing at the varsity level, I would assume he working with her throws from her knees?

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Does the coach ask the infielders to throw one-hops to 1B? :rolleyes:

I understand the reasons for asking a young player to make a low throw, but the reality is that she still isn't going to get many runners. A HS-age player who has even reasonable throwing speed should not be asked to intentionally throw a bouncing ball. If there is an accuracy problem, how accurately do you think she will be able to land the bounce at a distance that is an easy play for the SS? A bounce also introduces the possibility of a bad hop that makes the play even more unlikely to be successful. The right solution is to have the catcher work hard on improving whatever the issue is that is inspiring the coach to ask for a one-hop.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Regarding a previous post...
If a person has the ability to throw 4 feet high...they have the ability to reach the base.

Throwing mechanics and releasing correctly is whats needs to be worked on.

Drawing an imagined line in the dirt
4 feet in front of intended target.
Is only working on throwing at a different target. That is not the intended target for best results.

Imo
This discussion is really about a coach using odd verbage or methods to do who know's what. Communicating correctly is also part of being a good coach or not.
People can go with translation misque....
but thats pretty specific to say
Throw the ball in the dirt...

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
Even if the throw is faster which unless it's good size arc, you wind up with a throw that's coming up to the SS versus down slowing the tag some. Maybe your teams play on better field than we did but the hops on the dirt are difficult to predict at best.

Then only think I do stress is that if you are going to miss you need to miss low. I would prefer an IF throw on in the dirt to first versus air mailing it. At least we have a shot at those.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Thank you all for your input! I’m happy to report that after three games and 5 would be runners thrown out we’re back to just put it on the bag. No more short hopping it to second base. My universe makes sense once again lol.
The best outcome from a hard situation is people learn and grow from it !
Glad the coach did!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee