Catcher bouncing the ball to second base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2016
My daughter’s varsity coach is asking her to bounce, one hop, her throws to second base because he says it’ll get there faster and will be easier when tagging the runner. Am I missing something? That makes no sense to me! I’m worried that that’s going to mess up her mechanics and timing. Can some of our gurus help out please??

BTW she can make the throw on a rope so it’s not like she needs help getting it there.

Nov 9, 2016
I wasn’t at the practice but usually her throws are on point 8/10 times. No rainbows! He’s coached her before on another team and I think he’s a solid coach that’s why yesterday’s situation blew my mind. I also thought she was throwing high and he just wanted her to work on her release and finish down but she said she wasn’t. Thanks.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Already many splended responses.

How about....

Does the coach want the entire defense to bounce it?!
Funny
Sarcastic
Rhetorical

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019
My daughter’s varsity coach is asking her to bounce, one hop, her throws to second base because he says it’ll get there faster and will be easier when tagging the runner. Am I missing something? That makes no sense to me! I’m worried that that’s going to mess up her mechanics and timing. Can some of our gurus help out please??

BTW she can make the throw on a rope so it’s not like she needs help getting it there.

In my experience it’s the slower girls with weaker arms that are generally asked to one hop the ball to 2nd.

The reasoning is it will improve their pop time. So throw from knees with a hop or two. The ball is rec’d low by fielder covering so that may save a little time as well not having to bring the ball down.

Bottom line is the throw to 2nd needs to be a quick low accurate throw to 1st base side on 2nd. If a girl is strong enough to throw a laser from her knees that’s ideal.

If a kid has to one-hop the ball in order to speed-up her release time that’s fine to. As long as the throw is accurate with some mustard on it I’ll take it.

In your particular case the only reason that makes sense is that your DD’s throws to 2nd may be fast but not accurate. If she is also accurate I’m at a loss why the coach would prefer a bounced throw.

May 20, 2015
i've always trained my catchers to one hop to start......we've progressed into straight to the glove when they were ready.....how much has the coach worked with this catcher?

also, it can be easier for the fielder to make the play off the bounce.....is this a consideration here as well?

we've thrown out plenty of runners from the knees, from the pop, with a bounced throw, with a throw straight to the glove......with different combinations of fielders and throwers.....

there is good, better, best........and sometimes the combinations of players can make better the best in a given situation

sounds like a chance for your DD to discuss the situation with their coach; i ALWAYS want my players empowered enough to discuss things with me, and we can figure out what is best for all that way......or at least each understand each others perspective

Nov 18, 2015
I'm leaning towards the "lost in translation" scenario as well. The sarcastic side of me wants to ask "has the coach ever tried to field a one hopper?". I know with baseball you risk hitting the grass, and a softball generally / in my limited experience seems to take a more predictable hop. But at the varsity level, you're probably not beating runners by multiple steps - is the SS a solid enough player to be able to 1) cleanly field a one-hopped throw, 2) ignore the metal cleat-wearing player sliding toward their shins, and 3) apply a tag?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802