Catcher backing up 1st on plays to the right side?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
While the catcher moving a few steps down the line on a runner on first or bases empty throw to 1B from 2B makes some sense, having them charge down there for any throw to 1B does more harm than good. You'll wear them out, and any overthrow from the left side will be much easier for the RF to get to.

If I read your question right, on a grounder to 2B, your SS should be covering the 2B bag, not an OF. Outfielders should always be playing the ball before worrying about infield backup.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
This is a pretty funny paragraph from the 10u defensive strategy link.

Center Field: This is where your Three-Toed Sloth goes. She doesn’t have to run anywhere to back up throw downs to 2nd. Anything hit to her she can throw back to 2nd base and have a relatively short throw. Let her know how important the position is, and that you are counting on her to help out the other two outfielders, and pray nothing gets hit to her. And if she is really, really bad, be sure to remind her when soccer registration is next Spring.

I don't agree with everything he says but this was funny.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
While the catcher moving a few steps down the line on a runner on first or bases empty throw to 1B from 2B makes some sense, having them charge down there for any throw to 1B does more harm than good. You'll wear them out, and any overthrow from the left side will be much easier for the RF to get to.

Throws in the dirt can deflect lots of different ways, including back towards home. I want my catcher following the runner (closer to the fence than the foul line), about 1/3-1/2 way down the line, to cover that possibility. (12U TB and up)

Oct 4, 2018
This is a pretty funny paragraph from the 10u defensive strategy link.

Center Field: This is where your Three-Toed Sloth goes. She doesn’t have to run anywhere to back up throw downs to 2nd. Anything hit to her she can throw back to 2nd base and have a relatively short throw. Let her know how important the position is, and that you are counting on her to help out the other two outfielders, and pray nothing gets hit to her. And if she is really, really bad, be sure to remind her when soccer registration is next Spring.

I don't agree with everything he says but this was funny.

Haha. That was funny.

But honestly, in 10U rec (I believe those strategies are for rec) maybe one ball per game makes it to CF. You really do win by having the better athletes at 1B, 2B, P, etc.

May 6, 2015
also, if throw from 3B side, RF will definitely get it first. if basically back down basepath from 2b to 1B, then it will most likely go to fence (at 10u, probably relegate to rather small fields without a lot of foul territory), and 1B will pobably get to it first . only if throw is from deep 2B position will C likely be first to be able to get it. scrap it at 10u, especuially rec, and have them stay home, watch play develop, start developing them to be the on field general they need to be (ie knowing where throw from whomeveer fields that OT should go, P, 3B, 2B, HP, etc.).

Nov 15, 2019
I am just bumping up this thread because I have a 16u catcher that has never been taught to back up 1st and I noticed in a game we played last night that the opposing catcher was backing up a lot of the grounders to 2nd and SS. She really was getting a work out in.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I am just bumping up this thread because I have a 16u catcher that has never been taught to back up 1st and I noticed in a game we played last night that the opposing catcher was backing up a lot of the grounders to 2nd and SS. She really was getting a work out in.
Get the angle. And cover getting in front of the Dugout opening if there is one.

Much easier to score from second base than it is first base there should always be a defensive player backing up plays/throws.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD never worked on this...ever. The only scenario I would see this adding a benefit would be a ground ball to 2B and possible a ball hit up the middle SS side as the throw would be angled closer to the dugout. 3B-if over thrown it's going to RF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood