Catcher backing up 1st on plays to the right side?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I did conditioning at 10..it was called playing outside with my friends.

I'm assuming there was no cell phone or PlayStation involved in that. Although, when I was growing up, I did spend some time with my Atari. How's that for dating me...

Jun 8, 2016
I'm assuming there was no cell phone or PlayStation involved in that. Although, when I was growing up, I did spend some time with my Atari. How's that for dating me...
Lol..we owned some sort of video game thing but I hardly ever played it.

My kids don't have any video games now. If it isn't raining they get kicked outside if they say they are "bored"..they usually figure out something to do. I never understand when parents complain about their kids spending too much time on video games or cell phones..who bought it for them in the 1st place?

Sep 29, 2014
Its all about angles. If the third baseman is charging and fields the ball between third and home, that catcher is just wasting breath. If its the shortstop in the hole then yeah you should at the very least be cheating down the first base line, same if second fields it. But again its angles you should try and line up so you almost can't see the throw coming about a step or two offset so you aren't blind. RF should be charging to back up first on most infield balls, for that matter all outfielders should be coming in a little just in case but again angles matter and they should be thinking about balls coming off the fence too at how the ball will bounce.

Aug 2, 2019
Lol..we owned some sort of video game thing but I hardly ever played it.

My kids don't have any video games now. If it isn't raining they get kicked outside if they say they are "bored"..they usually figure out something to do. I never understand when parents complain about their kids spending too much time on video games or cell phones..who bought it for them in the 1st place?
Her childless uncle bought it for her.

Jun 8, 2016
Her childless uncle bought it for her.
Lol...my kids have one of those too (although he is getting married soon so that might change) and he likes to buy gadgets for them but no video game console..he knows his brother better than that :LOL:

Aug 2, 2019
Lol...my kids have one of those too (although he is getting married soon so that might change) and he likes to buy gadgets for them but no video game console..he knows his brother better than that :LOL:

We play together a lot. She's actually grounded from video games now. She got mad at me over the weekend because I played and told her she couldn't. I told her I'm not the one that's grounded because you didn't turn your homework in.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I would say 12U is about the right time to start teaching catchers to move down the line to back up throws that bounce away from 1B. They need to be savvy enough to read the game, and only be making that move with no runners on base. If they aren't sharp with reading the game, leave them at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802