Can you teach pitching without pitching (cont'd)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
To the OP's question of "wise hire?"...I'll say yes. Of course, once we look back on this after a season or two we'll know more but his experience up to this point has been strong. Whether or not someone has pitched or not should not be the defining criteria.

Nov 18, 2013
He’s had a high level of success in the NCAA and NPF and worked under some of the best coaches in the game. According to his bio he was a batting practice pitcher for several years and I assume that’s more than just soft toss. It’s possible to be a good pitching coach without ever pitching, but the odds are against it.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I often wonder if these PC actually coach technique. Perhaps it's more of a management of pitchers, scheduling bull pen sessions, paying attention to pitchers, etc. We all know pitchers are the prima donnas on the team and they need special attention. And I say this with the upmost respect for all pitchers.

But as a catcher's dad, we know a good catcher makes a good pitcher GREAT!

Jan 25, 2022
Does anyone know if there's any truth to the rumor that Montana was some sort of factor in the mass exodus there? Unless maybe I'm the only one that heard the rumor.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
He has success as a pitching coach, however, one of those gigs was at the pro level, where you are not teaching them anything.

There is another problem here. He probably can't even pitch a ball underhanded.

My requirements for a PC would be: former fastpitch pitcher, former baseball pitcher, then maybe a catcher.

The problem with not hiring a former pitcher, is they will do stupid things like pull a pitcher when they are one out from a win (which I have witnessed). All the pitchers will see this and immediately lose confidence in the PC.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802