Can you legally step back when pitching HS?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
I thought I read somewhere where HS pitchers can either step back or start with their stride foot behind the pitching plate? If so, should my 14YO freshman do this even though she can't in TB the rest of the year.

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
You can start with one foot on the mound. I wouldn't suggest it, it was a big adjustment for my dd when we started thinking about college. Stick with 2 feet on he mound if she wants to play travel and at the next level is my opinion.

Apr 12, 2015
It is a big advantage to start with only one foot on the rubber. The adjustment going between one foot and two feet shouldn't be any more difficult than going to regular pitching after doing the 2-step and pushback drills.

She will feel stronger with only one foot on the rubber.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
It'll vary from state to state... in Indiana, yes it's legal to step back, however I don't recommend changing your mechanics. Stick with the rules she going to be held to in Travel Ball and into College

Jun 22, 2008
The foot either has to start back or the step back has to be before the hands come together.

See a lot of illegal pitches immediately following high school season in travel ball because pitchers forget they cant do it anymore.

Aug 21, 2008
It is a big advantage to start with only one foot on the rubber. The adjustment going between one foot and two feet shouldn't be any more difficult than going to regular pitching after doing the 2-step and pushback drills.

She will feel stronger with only one foot on the rubber.

It's a HUGE difference pitching with 1 foot or 2 feet on the rubber. And next to all the people that gripe about crow hopping, it's my biggest pet peeve of the rules. Why are the pitching rules (2 feet) still in existence from 1950 when hitters get composite bats from 2016? It's incredibly unfair. The rule needs changed.

But the first time I ever threw with 2 feet on was my first game in New Zealand. Talk about a rude awakening. The amount of leverage one gets with 1 foot is beyond measure than with 2 feet. the USA is the only country in the world that allows men to have different pitching rules (allowing 1 foot on the rubber) as the women. In International softball, the rules are identical for men and women.

I believe the National HS softball federation allows 1 foot on. Their rationale is, not all girls play travel ball. And not all girls want to play in college. So, let the ones who don't do those things get some form of "advantage". But that's just a guess. I agree it'd be crazy to pitch one way in HS then another in the summer. Find your pitching motion and go with it!

Bill

Feb 7, 2013
DD plays in CA. Legal?

Anyone's DD pitch successfully alternating HS 1 foot on rubber and 2 feet for travel ball?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
DD plays in CA. Legal?

Anyone's DD pitch successfully alternating HS 1 foot on rubber and 2 feet for travel ball?

Was never an issue for my DD. Used to do it in HS for extra velocity and it much easier to throw. As of last year it is no longer legal in Florida.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
DD did it during HS ball because she felt she could get a bit more snap on the ball. She got called twice for stepping back after her hands came together. .Once she understood to step back, then bring the hands together, it was all good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802