Can you feel the stretch/tension?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
So if I go through the process of a swing step by step and freeze at each interval... when I get to heel plant I can feel tension/stretch throughout my core. My DD does the same thing and she cannot.. This puzzles me. I can manipulate her form however I want and she feels nothing..lol. I ask her to over bake it, load the scap more, open the hips more.. and nothing. Is this because I'm a old man and shes a young teenager who's much more limber :)? Or maybe there's something messed up that I cannot identify

FYI, I can see the ripples on her jersey across her midsection at heel plant... looks to me the she is creating stretch.

Oct 2, 2017
It sounds to me that the stretch is happening. Maybe she just really doesn't know what feeling that she is looking for. To be honest I don't really don't feel anything in my core per say, but more in the Lat area.

May 12, 2016
It sounds to me that the stretch is happening. Maybe she just really doesn't know what feeling that she is looking for. To be honest I don't really don't feel anything in my core per say, but more in the Lat area.
So if you look at this video and try to copy what JD is doing you don't feel stretch and tension through your core?

It's a good video period, but fast forwarding to 4:32 it where he starts demonstrating stretch.

May 12, 2016
Probably. Or, she isn't moving the same way you're moving. Or, her body awareness isn't dialed in yet.
Good point Eric, she doesn't play other sports, so it could be body awareness due to lack of experience with engaging the core. Wish she played tennis or something

Oct 2, 2017
So if you look at this video and try to copy what JD is doing you don't feel stretch and tension through your core?

It's a good video period, but fast forwarding to 4:32 it where he starts demonstrating stretch.

More so in the lats and oblique areas. not in the abdominal muscles. But maybe I just have to many layers of fat there :LOL:

Jun 8, 2016
More so in the lats and oblique areas. not in the abdominal muscles. But maybe I just have to many layers of fat there :LOL:
Best way to know if a muscle is being engaged during an activity is to injure it. Found this out a few weeks back when I tore my groin at the gym and tried to hit fungos to my kids the next day...ended up hitting them "Roberto Clemente in the 1971 All Star game" style (it was my right groin). So my suggestion to you is go to the gym and tear an ab muscle...LOL!!

May 12, 2016
Best way to know if a muscle is being engaged during an activity is to injure it. Found this out a few weeks back when I tore my groin at the gym and tried to hit fungos to my kids the next day...ended up hitting them "Roberto Clemente in the 1971 All Star game" style (it was my right groin). So my suggestion to you is go to the gym and tear an ab muscle...LOL!!
I didn't get past ..."go to the gym". Maybe I can just walk up the stairs and tear my groin instead, :)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
'but I guess there are a lot of muscles that make up your core. '

Bingo!

And the more of them you employ the farther the ball will travel. Try using these:

The Core is composed of as many as 35 different muscle groups connecting into the pelvis from the spine and hip area. In order to simplify the Core muscles I have divided them into four regions; back extensors, abdominals, lateral trunk muscles, and the hip muscles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802