Can the assistant coach address the Ump?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2018
NFHS/USSSA
If the assistant coach is coaching 1b and sees a play that he doesn't agree with, does he have to address the ump through the head coach? Or can he call time and go discuss with the Ump himself?

Feb 15, 2017
By doesn't agree with do you mean he wants to argue a judgement call or asks for an interpretation of a rule?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2018
CT
If the team is seeking a reversal of a call on the field based on a rules application (so, not an appeal, which can, depending on the appeal type, live or dead, be made by a fielder or any coach), then it depends...

USSSA says: "If there is a reasonable doubt about some decision being in conflict with the rules, the coach or captain may ask that the correct ruling be made." In various places in their rules, USSSA uses the words "head coach" or "a coach" or "the coach" and even "the Coach". Here they use "the coach", which I suppose is up for interpretation. At other places where they use "the coach" or "the Coach" it's clear they mean the head coach (e.g. ejection for illegal bat, or ejection for unreported substitute).

USA says: ".Under no circumstances shall any player or person, other than the manager, acting manager or captain of either team, have the right to protest any decision and seek its reversal on a claim that it is in conflict with these rules." In USA, manager means head coach (the words "head coach" aren't in the rule book).

NFHS: i don't have the rulebook, but various state associations explicitly call out that only the head coach may discuss calls with the umpire. e.g. https://www.nchsaa.org/sportsmanship-respect-game#baseballsoftball

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Technically, regardless of what @Mike Hurd says, it is only the HC/manager/acting HC/acting manager (which means that the HC/manager has already been ejected)/captain, has the privilege of asking for a reversal. That being said, I will talk to an AC IF AND ONLY IF , they keep their words soft and sweet like bubble gum. They are on a much shorter leash than any of the authorized personnel would be.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
NFHS: i don't have the rulebook, but various state associations explicitly call out that only the head coach may discuss calls with the umpire. e.g. https://www.nchsaa.org/sportsmanship-respect-game#baseballsoftball

My NFHS rules book is a few years old, but I don't think this has changed:

If there is a reasonable doubt about some decision being in conflict with the rules, the coach or captain may ask that the correct ruling be made

I read that as any coach or a team captain (who is identified during the plate meeting).

Edit: I also think that a catcher, even if not a captain, should be/is permitted to request an appeal on a check swing. So I wonder if the umps that won't talk to anybody but the head coach would ignore this request.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
We are discussing the reversal of a decision due to misapplication of the rules not appeals, as stated above, so the case involving the C IS MOOT. Also, the NFHS rule book states THE coach not A Coach, so your interpretation of the rule meaning any coach would be in error.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812