Can remember pitches intentionally thrown at...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Getting HBP is like getting walked on 4-5 pitches. That's no great personal accomplishment, but it helps the team. Some players have a knack for either or both and, as far as the team is concerned, it's often as good as a single.

I tell players that if a pitcher insists on walking you, LET HER. The same is true of getting hit. I'm no fan of leaning in to deliberately get hit, but if a pitcher wants to throw inside, there are consequences for one that gets away. The batter shouldn't be required or expected to bail out a pitcher's mistake.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I don't like the elbow guard. If you're hanging all over the plate there needs to be a consequence for getting hit. If the ball is coming at your elbow, pull back and protect.

There is...it's called a "strike".

May 3, 2016
So, if a player gets hit on the helmet, no base according to you?

Maybe I should clarify. Non required protection equipment. Pretty sure helmets are required. And most will try to get out of the way of a ball coming at their head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So, if a player gets hit on the helmet, no base according to you?
When helmets became a requirement and rule hadnt changed yet~
While batting a pitch came flying at my head. I sorta knodded my helmet down and bunted it with my helmet.
Kinda smiled taking off to first.
'Ya kno hit by pitch, while trying to move...'
Nope umpire called me back and said i did that on purpose.
Okay, so i did it on purpose ;)

*Anyone care to consider how this rule has affected pitching and hitting averages?
Stats or Guesses welcomed!

Mar 28, 2014
Getting HBP is like getting walked on 4-5 pitches. That's no great personal accomplishment, but it helps the team. Some players have a knack for either or both and, as far as the team is concerned, it's often as good as a single.

I tell players that if a pitcher insists on walking you, LET HER. The same is true of getting hit. I'm no fan of leaning in to deliberately get hit, but if a pitcher wants to throw inside, there are consequences for one that gets away. The batter shouldn't be required or expected to bail out a pitcher's mistake.
Whats up Walton! Lol......

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
DD2 has a bruise on her pitching arm from a HPB and she WAS trying to get out of the way. Lucky it was the fleshy part but it's a dandy!

radness

Dec 13, 2019

Hmmm?
Being walked is having good eye's in the box.
Do think thats an accomplishment!

Standing being pegged by a pitch, while it may put a runner on base does accomplish that...
Standing without moving to get hit and receive injury could really hurt the team...well because of injury!

There is a peculiar consequence to a rule that places a human into a situation that rewards 'purposely staying directly in harms way'!

May 6, 2015
DDs firstTB team they practiced taking (ie getting hit) pitches, dialed machine down to about 12-15 mph, each girl had to stand on plate and turn and take one on the side. I get teaching them how to avoid injury, but we really did not like that.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
DDs firstTB team they practiced taking (ie getting hit) pitches, dialed machine down to about 12-15 mph, each girl had to stand on plate and turn and take one on the side. I get teaching them how to avoid injury, but we really did not like that.
"Take one on the side"
Yikes...but hey, they turned the speed down...

How can it be taught to avoid injury while puposely getting hit?
Wouldnt that be try not to get injured as badly?!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee