Can remember pitches intentionally thrown at...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Can remember pitches intentionally thrown~
Towards the batter
Nearest the batter
Into the batters box
Lets just say... AT the batter.
(And no helmets...yet helmets were already invented ;) lol)

Rules were~
Had to attempt to get out of the way.
If pitch hit batter then awarded first base.

Rule now~
Stand in box, dont have to move, get hit by pitch, get first base.

How much did this ruling change/affect the game? Good? Bad? What the heck? :)

Bring on the feedback!
GO DFP !!! 👍

imo,
Should have to attempt to move!

*Can someone post what year this rule changed? Thnx

Last edited:
May 3, 2016
I remember my dd walking halfway to the umpire and saying..... I won’t hit them if you keep them out of the strike zone... needless to say there weren’t any more knees hanging over the plate that game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Not sure when the rule changed, but in 2015, Florida got hit 128 times, up about 65% from the previous year. Florida's pitchers hit only 36 that year, so that's 92 more base-runners than your opponent (1.5 per game) just based on getting hit by pitches. Bailey Castro and Kristi Merritt got hit 62 times between them. They had more HPB than singles that year. And Florida won the national title.

Jun 11, 2013
I have no problem with the rule that you don't have to get out of the way. Don't miss that bad. What I would like to see is that if the pitch is not in the batters box then it's not a HBP. You can lean over the plate but if you get hit you don't get your base even if pitch isn't a strike.

I do think the rule makes it less desirable to pitch inside.

Sep 13, 2020
There's a simple solution ... if the ball is
I have no problem with the rule that you don't have to get out of the way. Don't miss that bad. What I would like to see is that if the pitch is not in the batters box then it's not a HBP. You can lean over the plate but if you get hit you don't get your base even if pitch isn't a strike.

Beat me to the punch ... I agree. Ball within the bounds of the box, no need to move. Ball outside the box, no base.

May 3, 2016
I’d almost take that a step further. If it hits a piece of protective equipment no base.

I’m pretty sure the year Florida took all the HBP a large percentage was on the elbow guard. I’ve even seen some lean into it and take the elbow guard to the ball.

Don’t let a piece of hard plastic be the only reason your willing to crowd the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
MN

Unfortunately then batters will spend as much time wiping the inside lines of the box as the front lines.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
If a kids gets there hands or wrists messed up because a coach believes 'take on for the team', then coach needs to quit. :mad:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not sure when the rule changed, but in 2015, Florida got hit 128 times, up about 65% from the previous year. Florida's pitchers hit only 36 that year, so that's 92 more base-runners than your opponent (1.5 per game) just based on getting hit by pitches. Bailey Castro and Kristi Merritt got hit 62 times between them. They had more HPB than singles that year. And Florida won the national title.
Wowzah theres some impactful stats!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802