Can Lefthanders Catch? Play Middle Infield?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If enough coaches say ā€œI wouldnā€™t use a lefty as a catcherā€ itā€™s a self fulfilling prophesy that you never see good lefty catchers.
As for the middle infield you are looking at plays that RH have a hard time completing and saying well lefties would have a hard time with this. How about judging the player by her results.
And yes my dd is a lefty. And yes I was shocked when in 16u when not pitching her coach first put her in at SS. And yes it was humorous to watch the other coaches get excited to exploit this and then fail. yes some plays look awkward, because we are used to seeing them one way, but on the other hand throws to third base were the smoothest you will see. Let the results speak for themselves,

Dec 11, 2010
Funny this came up today!

We have a LH D1 recruit on my 18u team. She is a great athlete and a ā€œtrue center fielderā€ type defensive player. We have had an injury to a kid that can play ss and our regular ss couldnā€™t play all weekend. Had yet another player playing ss but that left me with one of our regular catchers at 3b that is a nice player but she doesnā€™t play bunts as well as the other third baseman.

Foreseeing all this last week, we practiced the LH player at ss a little last week, the coaches that do defense on our team worked on first and thirds a little with her.

We played her at ss two games last weekend. They were the 4th and 5th games on Sunday. We had lost a game and had to play our way out of the loser bracket. She made a spectacular game ending double play to end the championship game and force the ā€œif neededā€ championship game which we won.

It was something I never thought I would do as a coach. It should not have to happen again this season (I hope). It was pretty fun though.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If you all of a sudden made every catcher left-handed, with exactly the same arm strength, I'd bet stolen bases would go up quite a bit.

They are in a better position to field bunts, though it's only a slight advantage (really like half a step). And it's also less important. It doesn't balance out because keeping a runner off third is a lot more valuable than keeping a runner off first.

I agree with those here who argue that a lefty catcher can succeed. I disagree with the idea that the pros and cons balance out.
Why? Asking because i read good thinking posts from you!
Whats your thought on that?

Heres mine
Stolen bases would NOT increase.
Lefty arm is hidden to the runner on 1st.
They have a quicker mechanic to first. Harder for runner to see back pick comming.
So runners on 1st have to really be careful.
Might even cause some runners to be less aggressive.
Throwing forward is the same.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
The number of steals might go down in large part because right-handed catchers are too difficult to steal on. If you all of a sudden made every catcher left-handed, with exactly the same arm strength, I'd bet stolen bases would go up quite a bit.

They are in a better position to field bunts, though it's only a slight advantage (really like half a step). And it's also less important. It doesn't balance out because keeping a runner off third is a lot more valuable than keeping a runner off first.

I agree with those here who argue that a lefty catcher can succeed. I disagree with the idea that the pros and cons balance out.

What's different about a lefty or righty catcher throwing to 2B? Righty or lefty, there are a lot more opportunities to back-pick at 1B than there are to throw out an attempted steal at 3B. A good move to 1B also tends to keep leads a little shorter, increasing the odds of a play at 2B.

Jan 22, 2011
Will need to read thread later and watch video later, but-
1) My lefty DD hated playing SS in 8u, even though she was the best athlete, because she knew she would get the throw there slightly later than a righty.
2)I've heard that lefty's can be pretty good 3B, but can't convince my DD to try.
3) I love lefty catchers.... I remember when DD did the NECC camp, Jay went into a 5 to 10 minute discussion on how to field bunts as a righty, then asked 'Any questions?'. DD asked how are lefty's suppose to field bunts. Jay said, 'Run straight at the ball, throw it to first'

watched video:

My opinion is the catcher has to be the smartest player on the field and as I believe Eric F said, throwing out runners is the 3rd most important skill for a catcher. I doublechecked the DVD I have from her, and it shows Jenny Topping with the glove on her right hand. First coach I heard give a clinic on catching.

My DD loves playing the outfield and on her travel team they want her arm in the outfield. Between being a catcher and getting taught how to read spins by Javasource, Ken Bergen, and Doug Romell, she is good at reading spins to judge where the ball will go. She unfortunately is on a long sabbatical from pitching.

As I explained to my wife two summers ago, she was the best 1B on her team, but they needed to hide a bat there when they weren't pitching, and they needed her arm in the outfield. You play where your team needs you, not necessarily your best position.

Her HS coach wants her catching next spring, because thinks he needs his current catcher playing 3B next spring.

Last edited:

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
What's different about a lefty or righty catcher throwing to 2B? Righty or lefty, there are a lot more opportunities to back-pick at 1B than there are to throw out an attempted steal at 3B. A good move to 1B also tends to keep leads a little shorter, increasing the odds of a play at 2B.

It may work better in college due to more LH batters, but in HS most are RH and throwing to 2b is a bit tougher. We move there hitter back in the box and crowd the plate when stealing 2b. You would be surprised how many teams don't notice this.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
It may work better in college due to more LH batters, but in HS most are RH and throwing to 2b is a bit tougher. We move there hitter back in the box and crowd the plate when stealing 2b. You would be surprised how many teams don't notice this.
Dont think h.s. players represent an across the board measurement of softball.
imo
Back in the box to help runner steal stops when players are aware whats happening.

That strategy is sometimes applied where a right handed batter stands in left box
(during initial at bat) to try and make it harder to throw on righty catchers.
That doesnt help either with beyond entry level or trained catchers.
If that was affective it would be far more standard thing to do in all levels and would be used often.
Simply just isnt.
Because,
Catchers learn to navigate throwing with batters in our zone.

Its a strategy tho!

Last edited:

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I never meant this was the only strategy to be used at all levels. Sorry if I gave that impression.

It's what works for me in my little corner of the softball world because the opposition for the most part isn't aware of why we are doing it. I have to believe I am not alone. Then again.....

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I never meant this was the only strategy to be used at all levels. Sorry if I gave that impression.

It's what works for me in my little corner of the softball world because the opposition for the most part isn't aware of why we are doing it. I have to believe I am not alone. Then again.....
I like when people use strategies!
All levels!
However just dont think that would affect difference in
L vs. R catchers throwing runners out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2