Can Lefthanders Catch? Play Middle Infield?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2016
And as for catchers..I think leftys have more advantages than rightys overall. Especially fielding bunts is much quicker and easier. The "weak" point would be steals of 3rd. But just taking a look at D1 starting catchers from powerhouse programs the past few years there have been some outstanding lefty catchers. So obviously big time college coaches are good with leftys.

Again..being a a lefty myself and having a lefty DD catcher with a CANNON for an arm for her age...I may be a bit biased. 😜Alexis Quigley.jpgIMG_7925a.jpg

Jun 8, 2016
In order to make up for the footwork issues that occur at SS for a LH a player would have to have an absolute cannon for an arm..too many bang-bang plays where a fraction of a second determines whether a player is safe or out.

That said if Jim Abbott can do what he did anything is possible...

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Yes but I believe she played CF for the USA U19 team and she won't be playing SS for OU for the next few years with Grace Lyons there. She has said she wants to play SS in college so we will see..
Jayda Coleman is her name. She is something special. Just watched the USA v Japan - U-19 Women’s Softball World Cup 2019 - World Championship Final.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Respectfully disagree based on own experience as a lefty and comparable physical movements of LH vs RH.

Dbl play scenarios:
Ball hit to RH 2b..player must flip around both feet and/or twist opposite of throwing motion. Same ground ball to LH does not have to move feet or upper body amd simply has to make a quick natural throw to SS at 2nd. Advantage: LH..already in throwing position and quicker release to SS.

Ball hit to SS...2B covers 2nd:
RH covers 2nd and either drops steps and throws to 1B or steps across bag and throws to 1B or has to jump throw to avoid runner sliding.

LH has limited options for sure...but the one smoothest and actually physically easy and natural for throw is to step across bag while receiving ball from SS and do a quick turn to be in perfect throwing position. The " spin" is actually in the direction of their throw so they actually gain power in throw.

Advantage : RH but based on time..very little.

I think they even each other out depending on where ball is hit to start the DP.

One other thing to consider: 2B covering 1B on bunts. LH 2B has HUGE advantage moving to 1b and simply places natural left foot on bag just like a LH 1B would do. Glove is already in position for throw. A RH 2b must get to 1b and then flip their feet and upper body face the infield to catch throw AND their glove is on runner side and risks being hit by runner. LH glove is away from running lane completely.

As a lefty..I may be a bit biased...but at least I have personal experience compared to you righties! 😜😁
Living proof wrong-handers have more imagination than right-handers LOL ;)

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
We had lefty who worked hard and became an all-conference catcher. She just graduated from a D3 school. Heck of a player for this part of the country, strong accurate arm. It was enjoyable for us to watch a lefty pick off base runners at 1B. She had the green light to throw down anytime, and worked out a signal with the first baseman so we knew what was coming. The opposition didn't run much after that. So It can be done.

But middle infield.....every time I see that in a TB game first I wonder if someone got hurt forcing her to play MI. If not and I was RH on the bench I'd take extra ground balls each day until that was me out there.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes on Lefty Catchers!
Back pick to 1st easiest ZAP for them.
And throwing arm hidden by body.
Good Stuff!

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Well, I partly agree except at 2B a double play turn is essentially impossible for a left-handed second baseman. Think of how they'd receive the throw from SS or 3B - they're ready to throw the ball into the left-center gap. There's no good way to fix that.

It is more difficult, but not impossible. The 6-4-3 is always a bit awkward, even for a RH. A LH can do it by catching the ball, turning to the right, and then throwing. It's not all that different than a relay throw from the OF. Further, the 4-6-3 will likely happen faster because the throw to 2B is a naturally strong one for a lefty.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I know the throw to 3rd is harder for a lefty C but as you go up in levels the number of steals at 3rd go way down and they can work around it. They can throw to first to keep runners honest and are in better position for most bunts so I see little disadvantage.

The number of steals might go down in large part because right-handed catchers are too difficult to steal on. If you all of a sudden made every catcher left-handed, with exactly the same arm strength, I'd bet stolen bases would go up quite a bit.

They are in a better position to field bunts, though it's only a slight advantage (really like half a step). And it's also less important. It doesn't balance out because keeping a runner off third is a lot more valuable than keeping a runner off first.

I agree with those here who argue that a lefty catcher can succeed. I disagree with the idea that the pros and cons balance out.

Jun 8, 2016
It is more difficult, but not impossible. The 6-4-3 is always a bit awkward, even for a RH. A LH can do it by catching the ball, turning to the right, and then throwing. It's not all that different than a relay throw from the OF. Further, the 4-6-3 will likely happen faster because the throw to 2B is a naturally strong one for a lefty.
Not sure I would feel comfortable telling my 2B to turn her back to the runner like that..

Mar 6, 2016
The number of steals might go down in large part because right-handed catchers are too difficult to steal on. If you all of a sudden made every catcher left-handed, with exactly the same arm strength, I'd bet stolen bases would go up quite a bit.

They are in a better position to field bunts, though it's only a slight advantage (really like half a step). And it's also less important. It doesn't balance out because keeping a runner off third is a lot more valuable than keeping a runner off first.

I agree with those here who argue that a lefty catcher can succeed. I disagree with the idea that the pros and cons balance out.

"...keeping a runner off third is more is a lot more valuable than keeping a runner off first."

WHAT????!!! If you can keep em off first...they never even get to third! 😀

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812