Can Lefthanders Catch? Play Middle Infield?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
No reason a LH can't play catcher. The advantages and disadvantages are pretty much mirrored with a RH player at that position. There's also no reason why a LH can't play 2B. The throw to 2B bag is actually easier, and the glove is on the forehand side for any throw from the IF to2B. The throw to 1B requires no more footwork than what is required from a LHP, and nobody has a problem putting a lefty there. SS and 3B are more problematic, but an athletic kid can often make it work.

Nov 30, 2018
A couple of things you missed about catching. Any throw home that runs up the line you either have to backhand or vacate home to field the ball. Also lefties thrown balls tail towards their throwing hand side, so when a throw down to second happens it tails towards the 6
Yep - good points, 100% about the tagging for catchers - a few people pointed that out and I definitely missed that one. Thanks for watching - it's an interesting discussion.

Nov 30, 2018
Just listened to your podcast on hitting. Good entertainment, but TM and Frye both came on the show with their twitter persona and not themselves like they did on their individual visits. As to the lefty catcher, they will be at some disadvantages, but they can thrive behind the plate!
Thanks for listening - yeah, the Frye and Rich thing was....my co-hosts idea (he loves drama). Im not sure what I wanted out of it, but they really didnt have opposite viewpoints, which made it difficult. Really, Frye just dislikes the new school of baseball that he's not a part of, and Rich is a miserable human in general and a terrible communicator. I like Jeff, and think Rich has some interesting ideas, but their back-and-forth wasn't all that productive.

Nov 30, 2018
Completely agree with you here. A lefty catcher is not ideal, but it can work. Lefties at 2B/3B/SS are at too much of a disadvantage. I'm sure someone can find an all-world athlete that can make it work. I'll keep that in mind if I ever come across one of the 10 best infielders alive and she happens to be lefty.
Yeah. it really wont happen at higher levels - lefties just cant get outs playing SS, 3B or 2B at high school or above where competition is strong. Game is too fast. Catching though has a chance, you do see it here and there.

Jun 26, 2020
Having a left handed catcher or middle infielder is not ideal, but great things can happen. I wouldn't discount one until proven otherwise

I worked with and around Jim Abbot late when he was with the Crawdads and Warthogs. He was successful in spite of not having a right hand.

Nov 30, 2018
No reason a LH can't play catcher. The advantages and disadvantages are pretty much mirrored with a RH player at that position. There's also no reason why a LH can't play 2B. The throw to 2B bag is actually easier, and the glove is on the forehand side for any throw from the IF to2B. The throw to 1B requires no more footwork than what is required from a LHP, and nobody has a problem putting a lefty there. SS and 3B are more problematic, but an athletic kid can often make it work.
Well, I partly agree except at 2B a double play turn is essentially impossible for a left-handed second baseman. Think of how they'd receive the throw from SS or 3B - they're ready to throw the ball into the left-center gap. There's no good way to fix that.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks for listening - yeah, the Frye and Rich thing was....my co-hosts idea (he loves drama). Im not sure what I wanted out of it, but they really didnt have opposite viewpoints, which made it difficult. Really, Frye just dislikes the new school of baseball that he's not a part of, and Rich is a miserable human in general and a terrible communicator. I like Jeff, and think Rich has some interesting ideas, but their back-and-forth wasn't all that productive.

A few things that jumped out at me about Frye that quickly discounted him as a valid source of information on the subject of swing mechanics instruction:
- He doesn't instruct.
- He believes baseball and softball swings are two different things.
- He believes that 12yos should not learn proper swing mechanics.
- He has a ton of criticism for something he hasn't tried, isn't interested in trying, and has no other content to offer.

Frye came across as being out-of-touch and constantly trying to remind everyone of his past personal success. He also reminded me of a playground bully. Frye's attack on Rich for not being a former high-level player as a disqualification for being able to instruct a high-level swing is ridiculous. He's not saying the same things about Wallenbrock, Latta, or Von Scoyoc.

Rich is an @$$hole, and his attitude was pretty predictable. However, he's been in the trenches of instruction for many years. He's not a hitting coach, or a team coach, he's a swing mechanics instructor (you guys touched on this a little). He is constantly trying to figure out how to translate information about the movements/feelings of the HLP in ways hitters can digest and apply. Some of it may appear really strange until you understand how it fits into the context of a full swing. That said, I agree that he's not a good communicator. However, there is some great work being done by the "next generation" of HLP instructors, who are excellent communicators.

(IMO, YMMV)

As for lefty catchers...With a RHP, the ball is generally travelling left-right across the plate (C's POV). A lefty catcher's arm is in a stronger position to receive those pitches. A very minor difference, but still a difference.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I believe the HS Gatorade POY is a lefty SS and pitcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes but I believe she played CF for the USA U19 team and she won't be playing SS for OU for the next few years with Grace Lyons there. She has said she wants to play SS in college so we will see..

Mar 6, 2016
Well, I partly agree except at 2B a double play turn is essentially impossible for a left-handed second baseman. Think of how they'd receive the throw from SS or 3B - they're ready to throw the ball into the left-center gap. There's no good way to fix that.

Respectfully disagree based on own experience as a lefty and comparable physical movements of LH vs RH.

Dbl play scenarios:
Ball hit to RH 2b..player must flip around both feet and/or twist opposite of throwing motion. Same ground ball to LH does not have to move feet or upper body amd simply has to make a quick natural throw to SS at 2nd. Advantage: LH..already in throwing position and quicker release to SS.

Ball hit to SS...2B covers 2nd:
RH covers 2nd and either drops steps and throws to 1B or steps across bag and throws to 1B or has to jump throw to avoid runner sliding.

LH has limited options for sure...but the one smoothest and actually physically easy and natural for throw is to step across bag while receiving ball from SS and do a quick turn to be in perfect throwing position. The " spin" is actually in the direction of their throw so they actually gain power in throw.

Advantage : RH but based on time..very little.

I think they even each other out depending on where ball is hit to start the DP.

One other thing to consider: 2B covering 1B on bunts. LH 2B has HUGE advantage moving to 1b and simply places natural left foot on bag just like a LH 1B would do. Glove is already in position for throw. A RH 2b must get to 1b and then flip their feet and upper body face the infield to catch throw AND their glove is on runner side and risks being hit by runner. LH glove is away from running lane completely.

As a lefty..I may be a bit biased...but at least I have personal experience compared to you righties! 😜😁

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802