Can Lefthanders Catch? Play Middle Infield?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 30, 2018
You see this in youth softball and occasionally in collegiate softball.

So, I discussed the pros and cons coaches should consider when weighing this. Yeah, traditional thought is NEVER...but maybe that's not exactly true in softball.

Anyway, here's the YouTube video about it:

May 23, 2015
A couple of things you missed about catching. Any throw home that runs up the line you either have to backhand or vacate home to field the ball. Also lefties thrown balls tail towards their throwing hand side, so when a throw down to second happens it tails towards the 6

Nov 4, 2015
Just listened to your podcast on hitting. Good entertainment, but TM and Frye both came on the show with their twitter persona and not themselves like they did on their individual visits. As to the lefty catcher, they will be at some disadvantages, but they can thrive behind the plate!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Completely agree with you here. A lefty catcher is not ideal, but it can work. Lefties at 2B/3B/SS are at too much of a disadvantage. I'm sure someone can find an all-world athlete that can make it work. I'll keep that in mind if I ever come across one of the 10 best infielders alive and she happens to be lefty.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have zero issues with a lefty catcher. Their downsides are balanced by their upsides. Evaluate catchers by their effectiveness in the game, not which hand they throw with. Throwing ability is (maybe) the 3rd most important skill for a catcher.

Jun 11, 2013
I know the throw to 3rd is harder for a lefty C but as you go up in levels the number of steals at 3rd go way down and they can work around it. They can throw to first to keep runners honest and are in better position for most bunts so I see little disadvantage.

The IF positions outside of 1st are much tougher although once we lost a 12U game because they had this kid (lefty) who someone dominated the game from the F4 position and we lost.

Still until you get to a real high level a great athlete can overcome some of the disadvantages and be very good at these positions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28