Can I get a travel ball history lesson?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
it seems the OP's premise is that only "A" level travel ball should exist. all other forms should dismantle immediately. we should want to grow the game and have options for kids at all levels. there is a very large group of players/families that want more than LL, but may not be ready for traveling for national events. B/C teams should not be looked down upon. they should be commended for giving a group of girls an opportunity to play.

Where the hell did you get that from what I typed? I said when I was first involved travel ball it was essentially a showcase for future college players. Now even bad players make travel teams. I was just curious how it turned from something for only elite players to something anyone can play regardless of talent.

May 29, 2015
B/C teams should not be looked down upon. they should be commended for giving a group of girls an opportunity to play.

I don't necessarily "look down" on "C" level teams -- I agree with you it is great to give EVERY kid a place to play.

In all reality, "rec leagues" should be "C" level teams and vice-versa. The idea of classes is to provide a hierarchy that gives a good measure to find your level of play.

Where I do look down on them though is having decimated community-based programs, then charging "travel ball" prices for a "rec league" product, and claiming it is some badge of honor.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I coached DD's Summer All Star teams for 5 years. After we got 3rd place in 14U B Southern Nationals with only 10 teams (lol) it was time for DD to venture into the "real" TB world. She ended up on a 14U team in a pretty well known organization. During tryouts I did not know which team was what, and I had no clue who the coaches were since all the teams were on the same fields. We accepted the offer and practiced start soon after. I soon realized this team was in a different organization and just made the move over to this organization. I wish I knew that! It took a few practices to realize that my 14U All Star team would have clobbered this team. We sucked it up for a year in which I learned A LOT!

Jul 14, 2018
IME, most kids who stuck with rec who obviously could play on a TB team stayed In LL because they wanted to play with their friends, typically kids who they went to school with.

This was exactly our situation. A bunch of girls who played together since they were seven, but wound up on many different TB teams. They wanted to have one last summer playing together before the only time they shared a field would be during school ball.

The “many different teams” ties in to this whole thread. Each girl has her own strengths and desires for what they want to get out of travel ball. The fact that there are so many teams in our area has meant that everyone can keep playing as much as they’d like.

I’m glad they were able to do it, since this year’s school season went up in smoke and it might be three years before this group of seventh and eighth graders are together again on varsity, if they all even make it that far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802