Can a D1 coach can talk to parents before their daughter enters her junior year?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
There is a retired D3 coach in DD's organization. She told me he is going to bring down a local D1 coach to watch her practice. DD said the D3 coach told her though she is a sophomore the D1 coach can talk to her head coach, which I expected, and might approach me to talk. Is this correct? I thought a D1 coach couldn't talk with a parent until Sept 1 of her junior year.

If that is correct, and the D1 coach starts talking to me I figure it's mostly best to keep my mouth shut unless I'm asked a question. Is there anything I should ask a D1 coach if I'm approached?

Aug 21, 2008
I don't think the D1 coach is allowed to talk to you, the parent.. apart from pleasantries and getting info for an upcoming camp they'll send you info for. The D1 coach can talk to the team coach all day, every day. And if you're a coach for your DD's team, then you have a bit of a loophole. As long as the D1 coach is talking to you as a coach and not as the parent of a kid they're interested in....

You have no idea how many and how crazy these NCAA rules are. There is literally a phonebook sized rule book that all coaches have to take a test on before they can recruit. The test is 30 questions, multiple choice, it's a 45 min test and it's "open book" But finding answers in the book takes FOREVER. It's absolutely ridiculous. I'm sure Nick Saben takes his recruiting test every year and follows all the rules, even though 80% of the rules are because of coaches like Saben, Tarkanian, etc.

Bill

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802