Can a batter switch sides during an at-bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So they ask for timeout and step out of the box, and walk around the catcher and umpire to the other batters box with no issues?

Just remember the "time out" it isn't automatic.

Though some may think this is nit picking, players and coaches need to understand they do not have the authority to call time. ONLY the umpire can suspend play and MAYgrant time should you request it. It is important to know because the umpire is not required to grant the request.

Some think it is automatic and it is not and when the umpire calls the strike, it can easily lead to a problem because of this presumption. It is not uncommon to have a batter or coach TELL the umpire that they called time and are not especially happy when the umpire informs them that he did not grant it.

Dec 4, 2012
Yes, she/he can in both baseball and softball provided time is requested and granted the batter can switch batter's boxes or if it is done before the pitcher is on the pitcher's plate and is ready to pitch. If it done when the pitcher is ready to deliver the ball and time has not been granted then the batter will be called out for interference by rule.

Dec 11, 2010
Have done this many times.

I was told the best way for batter to handle it is to ask for time and when granted say "blue, can I switch to right handed".

My understanding is that while you are asking, blue wont say no and it is a polite way of telling him you are switching so none of the above problems occur.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We have a couple of girls on our team who will occasionally start out slapping from the left side of the batters box, and if they get two strikes on them they will move back over to the right. The secret is to walk behind the catcher when she does it. I have seen an umpire called a girl for interference for walking in front of the catcher. Anyone know the exact rule on that scenario?

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
We have a couple of girls on our team who will occasionally start out slapping from the left side of the batters box, and if they get two strikes on them they will move back over to the right. The secret is to walk behind the catcher when she does it. I have seen an umpire called a girl for interference for walking in front of the catcher. Anyone know the exact rule on that scenario?

See post #4.....

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I used this as a strategy back when I coached HS. We had a couple stud hitters that teams would walk when there were runnere on base. They would request time and switch every pitch. Occasionally it would throw the pitcher off enough to entice a passed ball.

Apr 1, 2010
Absolutely. DD's team has a girl who's trying to learn to slap. She stands on left side and attempts to slap until she has two strikes, at which point she asks for time, moves to the right side and hits away. It's never been a problem with any blue they ran across.

Oops, I see this situation was already mentioned.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Sorry to dig up an old thread.

DD #3 is a righty, but will sometimes bat lefty in rec league games. If she has 2 strikes on her, she will often switch to right. Sometimes she is trying to slap, other times hit away.

Yesterday evening, the umps were one home plate ump who was a HS baseball player, and two volunteer parent umps on first and third. The home ump and the first base ump (a parent for the other team) both claimed she could NOT switch.

Not one of the coaches on either team knew the rules.

It didn't make any difference for the final score, but DD #3 was very upset, since she wound up striking out.

She only has one game left in the league this year, but I will email the league coordinator. She shouldn't have to face that situation again.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Yes, you can change sides in every rule set that I am aware of.

Have I ever seen it? No.

I knew a coach who taught all (or most) of his girls to slap. They would slap lefty until they had 2 strikes then turn around and bat from their natural right handed side.

oops, didn't realize this was an old thread an covered ground - my bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812