Camwood Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 15, 2011
Who has swung the Camwood bat? Can you please let me know what you think? Based on the below comments I gleaned from their marketing videos it really sounds like something to avoid:

Statements made:
keeps your bat path going in the direction (demonstrates bat going down) to cut the baseball, (demonstrates hand going down) kinda like in golf where you get the trajectory you want.​
that added weight is going to drive your hands down to the ball.​
teaches you how to take your hands to the ball (demonstrates hands going down across the chest)​
getting used to this bat gets the hands to go first (demonstrates hands out front)​

@Cannonball stated in an old thread:

"In swinging the bat itself, if one has a "push swing' there is no way that they will last long swinging it. We got the 33 inch 48 oz bat. If you are efficient with your swing, know how to tip and rip and hit with your core, you will do it. You can really feel it and it is all about physics. Weight above the hands and then, counterweight below the hands. Give me a week or two and I will give you a better reply."

Now that sounds more like something worth investing in and completely contradicts Camwoods marketing department.

What do you guys say?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The statements about what the hands do isn't always described in a manner of what the hands really do. Think of it this way. If you had something heavy and you extended your hands outward away from your core. A situation would be rapidly created where you would lose control over that weighted object. While the post you quoted from me is an old quote, I stand by it. We use our Camwood bat a lot. OH, I forgot to mention, if the statements you showed were what really happens when you use the product then what would the weight above and below the hands really do?

Sep 15, 2011
Thanks. Great question and does make me wonder even more why they continue the hands to ball mantra.

and it makes sense with the weight at the hands that casting would really be felt.

Trying to figure out if I want a Camwood or an end loaded wooden bat practice bat. Both my DD (Rocketech & Ghost) and DS (Axe) swing end loaded.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
To cannonballs first sentence.
Really good point!
"The statements about what the hands really do isnt always described in a manner of what the hands really do."

Nots so great when verbage itself needs to be explained
...hands to the ball...

This may have become a common used term...
Unfortunetly not used consistanly
Vague.

Dont care to use those words.
Also notice players describe it differently as they've heard it from coaches explained differently.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
If your player already swings endloaded bats, the training “void” to fill is under load and weight on hands. You have barrel weighting covered and you probably don't need more.

Dd #2 swings similarly weighted bats. I have a Camwood. (I probably posted in the same thread Cannonball did, wonder what I said back then, lol.). We use the Camwood a little in the winter, it’s ok. I have knob weights that I prefer. They are called “pro-cut” weights. Good luck finding them- sometimes they show up on eBay. Weighted gloves would do the thing. We have also used the Jaime Carravalos Swing mechanic bats quite a bit.

Last winter I bought two of what I consider the best training aids for my kid I have ever bought.

38” Whipstick. I believe it is 38 oz. It has weight (metal shot) loose in the barrel that starts at the hands and moves to end of barrel when wrists are released. We hit tee and front toss baseballs with it.

This is a skinny bat. That allows and encourages proper grip which is COMPLETELY overlooked by the hitting twitters. Make sure its not in the palm, it is against the meaty part of the fingers (where they meet the hand).

The other is a “half bat” from Trey Hannam. Its not a short bat, its a wood bat that has the barrel planed flat on two sides. We hit front toss Jugs foam balls in the cage with it. You can also hit wiffles with it but she likes the feel of the foam balls better. This is an under load deal. I believe it increased her bat speed and helped bat path.

Important: if you are doing overload training, do not neglect under load.

I’m a hitting training aid junkie. Most are pretty “meh“. I think these two made the biggest short term impact on a hs senior.

Third thing we use a fair amount is a wood 27' Louisville Slugger wood tee ball bat I bought at Walmart for $7 and put a grip on. We do front toss with baseballs with it. Seems like it improves her timing.

Last thing: DD used to swing Anderson Rocketech and liked Rocketflex even better. There may be good reasons to swing them but they are a dead end road. No other bat hits like them. Other -8 bats will be similarly weighted (Ghost, Ghost Advanced, Xeno) and they are the way to roll. Get away from that Anderson stuff when you can. If you go to a hitting instructor that pushes them, keep in mind he has probably ruined more swings with those than he has players that have gone on to hit well with them long term.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2016
Save money and buy a Victus.
fcd312e1b53db096a8bf7795399427e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
If your player already swings endloaded bats, the training “void” to fill is under load and weight on hands. You have barrel weighting covered and you probably don't need more.

Dd #2 swings similarly weighted bats. I have a Camwood. (I probably posted in the same thread Cannonball did, wonder what I said back then, lol.). We use the Camwood a little in the winter, it’s ok. I have knob weights that I prefer. They are called “pro-cut” weights. Good luck finding them- sometimes they show up on eBay. Weighted gloves would do the thing. We have also used the Jaime Carravalos Swing mechanic bats quite a bit.

Last winter I bought two of what I consider the best training aids for my kid I have ever bought.

38” Whipstick. I believe it is 38 oz. It has weight (metal shot) loose in the barrel that starts at the hands and moves to end of barrel when wrists are released. We hit tee and front toss baseballs with it.

This is a skinny bat. That allows and encourages proper grip which is COMPLETELY overlooked by the hitting twitters. Make sure its not in the palm, it is against the meaty part of the fingers (where they meet the hand).

The other is a “half bat” from Trey Hannam. Its not a short bat, its a wood bat that has the barrel planed flat on two sides. We hit front toss Jugs foam balls in the cage with it. You can also hit wiffles with it but she likes the feel of the foam balls better. This is an under load deal. I believe it increased her bat speed and helped bat path.

Important: if you are doing overload training, do not neglect under load.

I’m a hitting training aid junkie. Most are pretty “meh“. I think these two made the biggest short term impact on a hs senior.

Third thing we use a fair amount is a wood 27' Louisville Slugger wood tee ball bat I bought at Walmart for $7 and put a grip on. We do front toss with baseballs with it. Seems like it improves her timing.

Last thing: DD used to swing Anderson Rocketech and liked Rocketflex even better. There may be good reasons to swing them but they are a dead end road. No other bat hits like them. Other -8 bats will be similarly weighted (Ghost, Ghost Advanced, Xeno) and they are the way to roll. Get away from that Anderson stuff when you can. If you go to a hitting instructor that pushes them, keep in mind he has probably ruined more swings with those than he has players that have gone on to hit well with them long term.

Underloading is speed builder for sure!

May 8, 2017

Curious what size half bat that you went with? In talking about underload training I was thanking that i should step down in size from my DDs’ bats. They are 13 and 11 swinging 33/23 and 32/22 ghosts. Seems like the weight is really in the handle so I’m wondering if I should just go with the 33/19.

Dec 11, 2010
DD swings a 33 so that’s what I went with. That’s probably what I’d recommend since your DD’s are in that length range already. If I weighed it I don’t remember what it was, I sent it to school with her.

May 8, 2017
So I’m going to order a whipstick and a half bat and start my DDs on some overload/underload training. I’ll be curious to see in a month or two what the results look like. My 13yo have an average exit velocity of around 64 or 65 and has maxed out around 67. Need to baseline my 11yo. Anyone have a routine they like for this. I was thinking 10 reps + or - a few with a each of the heavy, light and regular bat x3 with a focus or keeping form and done three times a week.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478