Camp/showcase conflict question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2018
My daughter has narrowed her college choices to 2 D3, 2 D2 and 1 D1. I just found out that the D1 is having a prospect camp on 9-29. We haven’t received our fall tournament schedule yet but I’m pretty sure we are playing that weekend. After Sept 1st (she’s a junior) would it be appropriate for her to ask if the school is still interested or not? Just asking because there could be a possible showcase for our team that weekend. She would like to attend the camp first as she is very interested in the school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
My daughter has narrowed her college choices to 2 D3, 2 D2 and 1 D1. I just found out that the D1 is having a prospect camp on 9-29. We haven’t received our fall tournament schedule yet but I’m pretty sure we are playing that weekend. After Sept 1st (she’s a junior) would it be appropriate for her to ask if the school is still interested or not? Just asking because there could be a possible showcase for our team that weekend. She would like to attend the camp first as she is very interested in the school.

She should talk to her club team coach. I know ours would say to go to the camp. This is the reason why we carry 15-16 players because it is expected we’ll be down a girl or two on any given fall weekend due to camps.

ETA: She would be able to ask the college coach if they are interested in her at that point on or after 9/1. If she doesn’t feel comfortable doing so, her club coach could also reach out asking if the coach still has interest.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yes of course it is appropriate for her to ask about their interest.

And a good team coach who understand this age group will always say go to the camp. At this age if they are interested in getting comitted that comes WAY above any weekend tournament. That is the one of the reasons recruiting age teams tend to carry more players - to mitigate when players are off pursuing specific schools.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Yes of course it is appropriate for her to ask about their interest.

And a good team coach who understand this age group will always say go to the camp. At this age if they are interested in getting comitted that comes WAY above any weekend tournament. That is the one of the reasons recruiting age teams tend to carry more players - to mitigate when players are off pursuing specific schools.
Wait! All these people say that you can't manage a team with more than 12 players on a roster. LOL!!!

Jun 27, 2018
I guess I should have mentioned, I’m not sure how many we have. Tryouts are wrapping up and we are awaiting practices to officially start, I think next week. I would assume we have enough to cover kids missing for camps and stuff. I think he’s keeping the roster at around 12-13. They seem to be very focused on recruiting so I’m assuming it will be ok. I don’t think they have a true second catcher at this moment, but they have a kid or two that can catch if needed. My feeling is he would tell her to go to the camp, they will manage.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I guess I should have mentioned, I’m not sure how many we have. Tryouts are wrapping up and we are awaiting practices to officially start, I think next week. I would assume we have enough to cover kids missing for camps and stuff. I think he’s keeping the roster at around 12-13. They seem to be very focused on recruiting so I’m assuming it will be ok. I don’t think they have a true second catcher at this moment, but they have a kid or two that can catch if needed. My feeling is he would tell her to go to the camp, they will manage.

At recruiting ages it should have been a question already asked of the coaches before committing to a team.

I wouldn't wait to ask. Your DD may have narrowed her list down at the moment but that does not mean that is her final list. Lots of things change during recruiting and sometimes it changes fast and unexpectedly.

May 9, 2010
D1 coaches can only attend showcases for 6 weeks starting on October 19. September showcases are not well attended

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802